What could be the problem?
I start my motorcycle. Whenever I switch on the signal lights it looses power as the lights blinks. Even causing the motorcycle itself to shut off at times.
- Alfred WLv 62 weeks ago
FOXI Di is spot on. The indicator light of a blinker set is always the warning for low voltage on the system. The reason is the unit takes a lot of power. Not only can an engine seize under these circumstances but when still cold the spark plugs can be to wet to be able to ignite again in attempts restarting the bike immediately.
What happens on your ride is the ignition will be far off and the bike is stopped more and more within say five miles. The battery will then be depleted. Now it is cold outside even the more!
An electrical test is mostly done for free, in morning hours by the shop of your choice. Many riders do have a multimeter though. Then one knows, either regulator, battery failing, plug- in or- wire for regulator bad (often there are lengthening cables with extra plug at this point for replacement stators) or stator bad. The multimeter can be bought cheaply for a few dollars or the neighbor has one and then you can test the battery and charging current, both in Volts really simple. Charge the battery and it should be between 12,6 and 13,2 Volts. Gel batteries take little more but are sooner exhausted. The lower it gets the longer it must last but for 12,8 certainly one or two days. The down limit is 12,4 - 12,2 Volt. Then test how long the lights stay on, when those go out in seconds then there is surface charge only and the battery shorted of low on acid (may safe you money) or just older then 5 to 10 years or neglected with sulfates on the plates. Pay attention to bad smell and powder because batteries can also boil down all of a sudden by high voltage! Next is charge the battery and test voltage on the terminals with engine running. The reading should be 14.2 to maximum of 15 Volts and even remaining reasonable constant with high, idle, revs. This rules out or finds evidence for the regulator. You could search for a cheap one in China on eBay.com. Regulators fail dominantly because their three yellow contacts (the three groups of windings on the stator) have not all three been good. When the mechanic finds a bad stator though (this is a resistance and AC Amperage test), you should know that on old motorcycles the group of windings can be replaced and they will certainly have been broken down by hot oil over time, but not always the permanent magnets. When not being able to replace permanent magnets or when you do not ask for it, then you will probably still have a bike that requires its trickle charger. Best of luck.
- Ray JLv 73 weeks ago
Exact same thing happened to me. I needed a new battery.
- curmudgeon55Lv 73 weeks ago
so don't use turn signals , take a ride about 5 miles and note if any other problems . depending on ACTUAL motorcycle, symptoms strongly suggest a short in wiring to turn signals, maybe relay to switch wire has been rubbed to metal. some Honda models had wire loom at neck that would be rubbed bare and turn signal was common for the intermittant failures. Triumph with american light sets early 1970s had some similar failures. Tape looms at the neck area where they'd be at risk from turning and the under the rear fender area by tailights was cure, what I had to do with little CM400 trainer after riding awhile with passenger, back tire rubbing loom. First thing to check is turn signal circuit since that is the system giving symptoms of current failure, possible short
- ExoplanetLv 73 weeks ago
And the usual essential info is missing: Type of battery: wet lead-acid? AGM? LiFePO4? Resting voltage? Charging voltage? Wow. A digital voltmeter has two (2) leads which go onto the two (2) battery posts. Like, it's so complicated to match two (2) things onto two (2) other things. Like totally wow, dude.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- adamLv 43 weeks ago
first of all you didnt mention make and model. I highly doubt its the stator. It takes a lot to ruin one. Regulator rectifier could be the issue. Also how old is the battery? And before you go thinking component I would look at all wiring connections making sure they are clean and tight.
- FOXY DiLv 43 weeks ago
Your charging system is weak and cannot meet the electrical demands your bike require. Have it tested.
It's most likely the regulator/rectifier, but might be the alternator.
- ArimatthewdaviesLv 74 weeks ago
The stator or the rectifier is going bad