B asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 4 weeks ago

do the french ever roll the tongue along with the throat with certain words containing the letter R.?

For example " Fevrier" seems to sound like a tongue roll along with the throat, but maybe that's just the AI translation of Duolingo and google translator. Je ne sais pas!

Update:

I just checked forvo . com for a pronunciation of "Fevrier" and it does indeed sound like the tongue is involved. it doesn't have the same throat pronunciation involved like Tres or Mercredi

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

No. We don't roll the R in France. But for sure in Spain they do it. I live close this country.

About Duolingo, maybe they asked a non native speaker to pronounce it. I checked on google with the word ' Février ' and from me ( native French), the R is not rolled.

• Catherine
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Thanks for the best answer. For your add about pronounce : Très, Mercredi, we use our tongue with the same way than for Février, or any other word. Like said Chi Girl, the French R is pronounced in the throat and always in French.

• 3 weeks ago

No.  The French R is pronounced in the throat rather than the tongue flapping in the front of the mouth as in Spanish.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

if in doubt, consult https://forvo.com/search/Fevrier

It has native pronunciations, and usually several of the same word

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.