B asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 4 weeks ago

do the french ever roll the tongue along with the throat with certain words containing the letter R.?

For example " Fevrier" seems to sound like a tongue roll along with the throat, but maybe that's just the AI translation of Duolingo and google translator. Je ne sais pas!

I just checked forvo . com for a pronunciation of "Fevrier" and it does indeed sound like the tongue is involved. it doesn't have the same throat pronunciation involved like Tres or Mercredi

Favorite Answer

No. We don't roll the R in France. But for sure in Spain they do it. I live close this country.

About Duolingo, maybe they asked a non native speaker to pronounce it. I checked on google with the word ' Février ' and from me ( native French), the R is not rolled.

• Catherine
      3 weeks agoReport

Thanks for the best answer. For your add about pronounce : Très, Mercredi, we use our tongue with the same way than for Février, or any other word. Like said Chi Girl, the French R is pronounced in the throat and always in French.

No.  The French R is pronounced in the throat rather than the tongue flapping in the front of the mouth as in Spanish.

• Zirp

if in doubt, consult https://forvo.com/search/Fevrier

It has native pronunciations, and usually several of the same word