Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 4 weeks ago

Baby CAN sit up unattended but still falls backwards sometimes... is this normal ?

My 7 month old baby has started sitting up by himself at 5 months and still can sit up by himself BUT he still falls backwards sometimes... when i sit him on the floor, I have to put blankets behind him in case he falls so he doesn't fall right on his head.. he has good neck and back strength, but I do see him leaning back a lot and falling backwards a lot of times.. he can pull himself back up sometimes but he still leans backwards.. is this normal? 

It's normal... babies are a bit wobbly when they sit up and even when they start to toddle around.

• sarah

Yup, this is normal. My daughter is six months, and we have the opposite problem...she ends up falling forward and looking like she's doing the splits, lol. I've been told it usually takes a few more months before they're strong enough to sit without falling.

• Pippin

Absolutely normal.  7 months is still a bit early to sit unsupported.

Yes this is normal. Every child is different. My daughter is almost 8 months and she can balance herself pretty well but she still falls back sometimes. Eventually you won't have to worry about him falling back , it's just like this for now.

Yes, it's entirely normal.