Torvald asked in PetsDogs · 3 weeks ago

I have a 10 month old Border Collie who has a coat in between rough and smooth and it is 20F outside, how long can he stay out for?

He is more on the rough coat side.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

quite a while, I would think, is the wind whipping up, is the sun out? If it's calm and they lay down they soak up the sun will keep them warm

• 3 weeks ago

Until he wants in.

https://youtu.be/NAfyBvbun7E

Youtube thumbnail

There are quite a few pics & videos of dogs with snow balls hanging off of them.

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

10-15 mins at a time.  Since they are active dogs, you will need to schedule some outside time several times a day.  Have you ever looked into training him for agility?  That would be inside set ups and he could get enough exercise.

• 3 weeks ago

Border Collie herders cant herd below -2c ::::: 20 f is around -6 c meaning your collie should only be taken out to relieve itself and have a short exercise period

Attachment image
    Source(s): Just an ole shepherd and his dogs and ewes
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jojo
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

IF he has a decent warm Kennel or shed to go into he should be fine, but if not you need to either take him indoors or provide a warm sheltered place for him to sleep in.

You don`t give enough details of his daily routine to be able to give you a more positive answer. 

He may need extra food to help him keep warm and of course unfrozen water at all times.

IF you are worried about him, then an insulated dog coat will help keep him warm, but is NOT a substitute for a warm kennel.

Also Border Collies are very intelligence working dogs and thrive being in an owners company,  so I do hope this pup is not just left outside all day to amuse himself and is not getting any mental and physical stimulation. AS I said.....not enough details.

Source(s): GSD owner for 56 years.
  • 3 weeks ago

It is their feet that is the problem. I would put the dog out and wait at the door, when the dog gets cold he will let you know he wants back in. Personally, I would never leave my dog outside in the winter without a way for them to get back into the house.

• 3 weeks ago

My Border Collie has a dense, rough, long coat, he is 3 years and very active. When it gets as cold as the 20’s F he can’t tolerate it for long. 15 minutes tops.

• Bill
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

you are either moronic or cruel of both to keep an animal outside in freezing conditions

• I agree with Torvaid. Why do you have a dog if you wont take it out and bring it back in? YOU do not want to stand out in cold weather and neither does the dog. Train him to do his business and then right back in the house. You moron.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.