Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 4 weeks ago

My dad is an alcoholic, how do I stop him from being one?

17 Answers

  • 4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

    That is a difficult question.

    His alcoholism is probably a coping mechanism for a much deeper and unseen issue or pain. Getting to the root of what is driving your dad to drink is what will help. There are 3 possible options that come to mind:

    1. Staging an intervention with the support of other family members (your mom, aunts, uncles etc)

    2. Speaking to someone he trusts and asking them to speak into his life

    3. Forced admission to rehab: depending on your age and your relationship with him, you may have to stage a forced admission to rehab (I am not sure what the laws are concerning this).

  • 4 weeks ago

    tell him not to drink

  • 4 weeks ago

    It's not your responsibility . Just live your life

  • 4 weeks ago

    I’m so sorry you have to live in this horrendous situation. My heart goes out to you. 

    It may help you to understand what your father experiences. His urge to drink is as strong as the urge that you and I feel when we have to go to the toilet badly. It is an overwhelming, persistent, and ceaseless urge. 

    Hephzibah clearly identified the psychological aspect of alcoholism. However, there is also a genetic and neurological aspect. Scientists are just now scratching the surface of the neurological and genetic aspects. Scientists discovered that alcohol affects the pleasure centers in the brain differently than it does people who are not alcoholics. The short answer is that you can not stop your father from being an alcoholic. He has to hit bottom and CHOOSE to emotionally seek and engage in treatment. Nothing you do will expedite that decision. Trying to talk an alcoholic out of drinking will have the same level of success as trying to talk a cancer patient out of his cancer. Alcoholism is as much of a disease as cancer.

    At this point, you need to take care of yourself. Join AL-ANON or Ala-teen. There are meetings all over the U. S, Canada, Bermuda, or Puerto Rico. You can locate one close to your house by going to You will meet people who have been where you are now. If you have no transportation, then someone from AL-ANON or Ala-teen can pick you up and bring you back home. They can provide both emotional support to you and tell you how they coped with the situation you're now in. You can also call 1-888-4AL-ANON (1-888-425-2666) Monday through Friday, 8 am – 6 pm ET if you live in the U. S., Canada, Bermuda, or Puerto Rico.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    you cant but maybe god will stop him if you ask him

  • 4 weeks ago

    Sadly you cant. Your Father is the only one who can do anything about his addiction. First he has to admit he has a problem and then secondly he has to reach out for help. But you cant only help someone if they want it.

  • Tracy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    You can't.  It is his weakness, his problem and no one else can save him from himself.  You can destroy yourself if you try to take responsibility for him. He'll change or he won't.  It is a problem from him or it's not.  All you can do is care for yourself.

  • Bill
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

    you can't

    he has to stop on his own terms

  • 4 weeks ago

    That is an adult problem that is involving.  I just don't how to put this in words but you need help.

  • 4 weeks ago

    You can't stop him. If he decides to quit drinking, he does. If not he won't.

    I'm sorry you're going through this. You must be having a hard time? You can google How to Cope with an Alcoholic Parent for advice.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.