How is it that dogs can see ghosts?

I have read books on the paranormal and also watched paranormal TV shows, and it has been observed how dogs can suddenly become very agitated and begin barking at someone (or something) in, say, the corner of a room, when there doesn't appear to be anything there. 

I don't know if any other animals exhibit this behaviour, but are there any parapsychological theories which seek to account for this? 

By what means could a dog see or sense a ghost - assuming of course that such things exist?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

Dogs can see ghosts for the same reason that babies and very small children can, because no one has told them that they can't see them they have not become denialists and their eyes and minds are open to the supernatural. 

• Mr. P
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

It may be that ghosts are more spread out in the energy spectrum, and so there may be a trace in the visible spectrum, but also in the audible and sub-audible spectrum. So the dog may be picking up on the movement of a sound through a space. They may also be more sensitive to electrostatic and magnetic fields than we are.

• 3 weeks ago

Sure, because you can believe everything you read....

• Tom
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

We do not know they are seeing "Ghosts" we do not know WHAT they are seeing.----Their senses--eyes and Ears CAN detect frequencies we cannot---THAT is a FACT. What they see (or hear) at those frequencies may be real but it's not evidence those things are actual GHOSTS.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Sky
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Your question is based on the assumed premise that dogs can see ghosts, for you to be asking how they are able to.  That premise constitutes an assertion of something you are putting forth as true.  You must first provide evidence proving that ghosts actually exist, and that the presence of ghosts can be detected somehow, and then provide evidence that dogs have a natural ability to actually see them.  Until then, you're just wasting everyone's time.

• Sky
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Andrea:  It's a perfectly valid response to call for evidence supporting statements of positive assertion about extraordinary claims.  To accept ludicrous things as true without evidence does waste peoples' time
      because it leads to gullibility, fraud, and lost opportunities for real learning.

• Dr. NG
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Dogs can't see ghosts, it's silly people believing they can spreading that idea. Silly folks believe they are barking at nothing because they can't smell and hear as well as dogs. Dogs are barking at something, silly folks just don't take the time to find out what.

• D g
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

I'm limited in conversations with dogs ... Are they self medicating when seeing things

• Maybe if you read books about science instead of fictional works you would realise that dogs do not bark at things which do not exist. 

• Frequently noted where? First I've heard of it. Even if a dog did behave in an agitated manner don't you think there might be a more rational explanation for it's behaviour than supernatural beings such as vermin in an abandoned building or the demeanor of it's owner. 

• 3 weeks ago

My dog became very agitated when following the trail of a possum, and the scent suddenly disappeared in the middle of the yard. (That's because my husband and I picked up the dead possum in a towel and locked it in a tight trash can.) The dog barked a lot and kept looking up in the air, as if the possum had climbed a tree that wasn't there.

In our case, it had nothing to do with ghosts. In "your" cases, it probably does have something to do with smells.

• English Guy
      Lv 6
      3 weeks agoReport

Strange that your dog didn't pick up your own scent near the possum, confirming what had happened to the possum to the dog

• Every animal senses the world through evolved sensory faculties, which give them a limited spectrum of sense and reality. All brains are masked, blocked, from sensing the world in all its greatness.

To bring up one example of dogs, is to point to the idea that they have a sixth sense. My cats have also done this as well. Rubert Sheldrake did experiments with ESP. If you are looking for something more spiritual I'd suggest an online source for investigations: Huff Paranormal. 

We are not alone. The men behind the curtain have gone a long way to keep us ignorant, serving us only the material, matter, channels of life (fashion, riches, women, etc.)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.