Why has no one made a machine yet that charges itself?

And I don't mean 'charging itself' by using its own energy that it generates. For example I was thinking about drones. What if you could have charging stations for programmed drones and when they're low on battery, they fly to a charging station and charge themselves.

Please keep in mind when answering this question that I literally have 0 knowledge about technology. I just saw a video about someone programming a drone to follow his face so it flew automatically to keep his face in the frame. That's how I thought of this.

Update:

I feel really dumb right now LOL thanks for the answers :)

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

There are battery-powered lawnmowers that do exactly that.

As does the Roomba vacuum cleaner.

• 3 weeks ago

The vacuum robots do the same.

• Greg
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Ever heard of a Roomba?

• 3 weeks ago

From the beginning of the 'robotics revolution', robots have been designed that know when their batteries are low and go to a charging station and hook up and recharge themselves.

Most of the more expensive drones (> $500) can follow someone or something, or focus on something as they go by.  That's a very common feature in drone software these days.  A drone being operated 'autonomously' could easily decide when it was time to land and connect itself to the charger.  I'm sure somewhere there are drones that do that.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.