Why has no one made a machine yet that charges itself?

And I don't mean 'charging itself' by using its own energy that it generates. For example I was thinking about drones. What if you could have charging stations for programmed drones and when they're low on battery, they fly to a charging station and charge themselves.

Please keep in mind when answering this question that I literally have 0 knowledge about technology. I just saw a video about someone programming a drone to follow his face so it flew automatically to keep his face in the frame. That's how I thought of this.

I feel really dumb right now LOL thanks for the answers :)

Favorite Answer

There are battery-powered lawnmowers that do exactly that.

As does the Roomba vacuum cleaner.

The vacuum robots do the same.

• Greg

Ever heard of a Roomba?

From the beginning of the 'robotics revolution', robots have been designed that know when their batteries are low and go to a charging station and hook up and recharge themselves.

Most of the more expensive drones (> $500) can follow someone or something, or focus on something as they go by.  That's a very common feature in drone software these days.  A drone being operated 'autonomously' could easily decide when it was time to land and connect itself to the charger.  I'm sure somewhere there are drones that do that.