I was watching a show about catching venomous snakes in homes and put them back into the wild, so they can kill birds and other prey, uh?

While I watching the snake handler taking a black mamba out of a toilet and put him back in the wild, I was thinking why not just kill the deadly snake so it can't harm anyone? Instead the guy is putting him back in the wild to kill birds and small prey for food? Does this make sense, saving a deadly animal who could have killed a human in the house, so it can kill birds and other small animals to stay alive?

Update:

I can't choose a best answer, they are all great answers, thanks!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Small prey needs predators to keep them under control. Snakes are great on mice and rats.

• oikoσ
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

What did you have for dinner last night? Chicken? Steak? Fish? They all had to be killed for you. In the case of the mamba, you don't want to eliminate predators willy-nilly. If you do, you get eruptions of the prey species. One of the classic cases happened with deer; look up the Kaibab Plateau. Use "deer" as one of your search terms.

• 4 weeks ago

Killing every animal that can kill humans would disrupt the natural ecology of the entire planet.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

It is all about the balance of nature. Species in the wild evolved to fit into the ecosystem, which includes predators. Birds and other prey animals produce as many young as they need to avoid extinction. If predators that are normally present are removed, then their numbers will increase, sometimes the increase can be too drastic, and food becomes short.

For example, when wolves were removed from Yellowstone Park, the elk numbers increased and the aspen trees suffer, because they were eaten faster than they can reproduce. Birds became fewer because they need the habitat provided by aspen trees to breed. Therefore it is best to avoid upsetting the balance of nature by killing animals that we think are "bad."

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

The biggest problem in the world is humans thinking they know better than nature.

That spider you squish eats pest bugs, so now you poison your home for the bugs.

That black mamba would be a nice meal for a hawk, falcon or eagle.

And how many mice did it eat before that.

I have a friend that collects and keeps live rattlesnakes, even breeds them, but also makes a lot of money for milking their venom for medicine. They die, they become a sandwich and the skin makes a nice belt.

Nothing on my property dies for poisons or intentional human actions.

Humans are just forgetting how to live in harmony with nature.

• John
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

if the snake is native to the area, it's fine to return it to the wild. it shouldn't be destroyed just because its a predator, we need predators so we aren't overrun with prey. the animal just needs to be relocated away from people, we do the same with bears more often than not

• 4 weeks ago

Deadly animals are part of an ecosystem and play their part in maintaining environmental balance.  We "like" lions and tigers better than venomous snakes, because we think lions and tigers are pretty, right?  Do we try to extinguish the lion because the lion eats wildebeest and zebras, etc?

• 4 weeks ago

Despite its reputation as a formidable and highly aggressive species, the black mamba attacks humans only if it is threatened or cornered. It is rated as least concern on the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN)'s Red List of Threatened Species.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.