How do I cook a chicken?

I need help

• .

I bake it myself in the oven

• geezer

Cooking a whole roast chicken couldn't be easier

and I always SPATCHCOCK mine to speed things up.

Turn the chicken breast side down and with a very sharp pair of kitchen scissors cut along one side of the backbone .. and then the other .. and remove the backbone in one piece.

Now turn the chicken breast side up and put it in a roasting tray, on a bed of chopped up lemon, onions and garlic .. and press it down 'flat'.

Spread it with a layer of butter .. sprinkle with herbs .. and cook at 180*c for about 1 to 1 1/2  hours (depending on the size of the bird).

Baste every 20 minutes or so while it's cooking.

Try Jamie Olivers recipe for chicken roasted with milk, cinnamon and sage.  Easy to find on line.  This recipe is super easy to follow and absolutely delicious.

The one part to really pay attention to is the browning of the chicken.  I use butter and brown over dead medium heat on both an electric or gas stove, I do 8 minutes a side (I set the timer) front, back, sides, then sitting up, then on it’s ... er... head.  This step is a little boring because you have to stand there but necessary for the finished dish, play music or a book on tape or prep your other elements of the meal.  

The recipe says to drain and discard the fat, but I save it, I’m careful to not let anything burn (you want sizzling but not smoking and popping) and the fat in the pan is slightly browned butter with wonderful added rendered chicken fat.  This stuff is cooking GOLD and I keep it in a jar in the fridge for cooking other things like roasted potatoes or whatever.  

• John

1) Turn oven on to 350F/167C. 2) Put whole chicken on baking sheet or shallow oven pan and season liberally with salt and pepper all over. 3) Put chicken in oven for 1 1/2 hours and remove. Let sit for about 10 minutes. 4) Eat.

You can do other things to guild the lily, but the above will give you yummy roasted chicken with the minimum of fuss.

The simplest way is to unwrap it, I still rinse it even though some say not to. Pat it dry. Rub butter on the skin, sprinkle on some garlic, pepper, salt, herbs, etc. And put it in the oven at 375f until it bleeds clear when you poke it. Usually 1.5-2 hours.

For a crispy skin, put it under the broiler for a few mins with the door open.

A whole 'nother technique is to blast it with a preheated 450f oven for 15-20 mins. You smell something change. And then lower the temp to 325 or less for up to 4 hours. That will give you falling apart flesh. But Like I said, it takes some skill and intuition. Not for beginners.

If you want to do it "BBQ style" as I call it, spatchcock it by standing it up on it's butt and running a very sharp knife down it's backbone and both sides. Then crack the joints of the legs and wings and cut through the "clavicle" to release the breast. It should all lay flat now and you can cook it in a shallow pan in the oven or directly on the grill, letting the heat hit everything evenly. If you want to take it apart, just continue through the meat with a knife.

P.S., always make sure your fingers are behind the knife before you cut. Make sure you always stop to see where your fingers are, i.e., no where near where the blade is going.

Get an instant Pot.  Plug it in.  Get a whole chicken, or just thighs and breasts already cut up.  Remove any innerds (giblets) tucked inside the whole chicken's cavity.  Place the chicken in the instant pot.  Add an inch of water (or cover the chicken with water if you want soup).  Add chopped up onion, celery and carrots (2 parts onion to 1 parts each of celery and carrots).  Close and lock the lid.  Press the button for stew, or if you have a lot of water and want soup, press the soup button. Go off and do something else until it's done.

Alternative method:  Cut the chicken up and cook it in a non-stick skillet until it is no longer pink in the middle of the pieces.  Make sure there is some water in the skillet -- enough to keep the chicken from burning, like 1/4 cup.   Add seasonings as it cooks, like soy sauce or tamari if you want an Asian flavor, Italian seasoning if you want an Italian flavor, or just onion powder, garlic powder and salt for a chicken soup flavor.

There are plenty of recipes and cooking instructions for a variety of dishes on the internet for free.

Very carefully and to the correct temperature or you'll die if you don't

• Brian

Plenty of recipes on the net. Google it.

Google 'chicken recipes'.

You don't. Animals have a right to life and happiness, just like you do. Just because an unjust system is the norm doesn't mean you have to be a part of it.