Is it OK to landscape (bed and dogwood tree) over utility lines?

I'd like to build a flower bed on the front corner of my home, but it's the same corner where gas and sewer lines run under ground. I was planning on putting a dogwood tree on the corner as well, which I'm guessing would have the deepest roots of the plants. Everything I've read online just seems to encourage common sense. What would landscapers do in this scenario?

Not trees over sewer lines.  It is like they can smell the fertilizer and water and go for it with the roots.  Or plan to cut it out in a year or two and plant another young tree.  You don't need get the roots out...just cut the tree down. The roots rot away while you plant another one nearly on the same spot.

If you plant anything be sure it can be replaced cheaply because it is subject to being torn out by the utility company at any time. Plants like day lilies would be a good choice

The utility company has an easement to maintain those utility lines and you cannot do anything that would block access.   They'll rip out your tree at your expense. 

Read the legal description of your property including the easement. 

Avoid planting a tree anywhere over or near utility lines.  The tree roots could and likely would crush or crack the pipes, and then the clean-up would be very costly.  In some places it is illegal to plant trees in utility easements, because of this very problem.  Not to mention the tree might tangle in overhead power lines if it gets very big.  In my area there are even oil well pipelines and high pressure natural gas lines that are hazardous to plant near.  Talk to your utility providers, and the city utility department of the city you live in.  You are better off planting annual and perennial flowers.  Even bushes could be a problem.  A rock garden would be appropriate.  Just remember, the utility people have the right to dig up the area if they must access the utility lines, and they don't care how expensive your landscaping is.

• audrey

Call your gas company and the sewer department. I'd you some how hit that gas line, you'd be in sooo much trouble......