hayley asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

My cat got a heart attack and died suddenly?

could i have prevented this from happening? Im devastated and i dont know if i will ever get over it. he had no signs of heart disease

I'm sorry for your loss! I've lost a cat to something similar (not sure if it was a heart attack or another type of seizure). It was fast and no way to prevent. I was heartbroken for a while but it got easier with time. I still miss her like crazy, this was 5 years ago, but I don't cry anymore. I'm thankful for the time I got with her and the other cat (who died a year ago - and I was as heartbroken again). I think about them a lot, but it gets easier to deal with with time.

Don't blame yourself, but let yourself be sad and cry it out. You're allowed to feel sorrow and pain for the loss of your cat - he/she was a family member. Take the time you need to mourn.

• Ocimom

If there was no signs, how could you have known or prevented it?  I'm sorry for your loss.  We never know how long we will have our pets.

• patty

depends on her age. if she was young maybe a more healthier diet like our diet may help the next pet u have.

• PAMELA

No, there was nothing that you could have done, just remember the happy times that you had with your cat and in time you will feel much better.

Heart attack?

You paid the $1000 for a necropsy?

You know it was not poison?

• marty

Dont blame yourself. Problems with the heart aren't always caught. I went to a cardiologist who said my heart was fine after checking it with all their technology, 3 days later I was in the emergency room with an attack.

I recently lost my apple head chihuahua due to heart issues. I knew of his problems and spent over $5000 on care for it but it wasnt enough. It's just a sad reality when you have pets. Dont give up on having pets though, remember the happy times.

• Vicki

Probably not. Same thing happened to my grandmas cat it comes unexpectedly.

• Linda

I just put one cat to sleep after 13 years and another cat died suddenly from a heart attack. You will get over it in time but expect to be down for awhile and you may want to spend time alone for a bit. Adopting a cat that needs a good home from an animal shelter can help.