Forgiveness...?

How can i truly forgive someone? I let things go but i kept having flashbacks about past relationships, arguments with somebody,etc. Do i have to tell the person face to face that i forgive them..

That topic of forgiveness seems a bit confusing to me but i know that if i dont forgive the person god cant forgive me.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

I already answered this for you.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Some people are insincere. They may ask for forgiveness, but their hearts aren't truly sorry or repentant. Even if we ask God for forgiveness, if we are not truthful in our hearts, then even our asking is for naught, and God will not ackowledge it. This is what some people do not grasp. The apostle James explains that when making requests to God it is possible to ask amiss, because we ask with the wrong motives. Our hearts must be in a true state of contrition or repentance, meaning they must be truly turned to God. 

We cannot be rebellious in our hearts towards Him, and have no desire for God to change us, and not really feel sorry for our sins, and ask Him for forgiveness, but those who are genuine, God will acknowledge. And since God acknowledges our genuineness and sincerity, we must also acknowledge those who are genuine and sincere. That is fair and just. We must treat other people, how we desire God to treat us - but it is also okay to not throw away discernment and wisdom. The Bible explains that a person who doesn't receive correction after several attempts at giving the person Godly correction, you don't have to keep company with that person. (see Titus 3:10, Ephesians 5:11, 2 Thessalonians 3:14-15...)

Those who are sincere and desire forgiveness, we are to extend to them mercy, as God extends it to us. Keep in mind that mercy and forgiveness is not something we deserve. 

• David
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Forgiveness starts in the heart.Forgiveness benefits only the forgiver for truth be told it doesn't matter their sorry or not. Forgiveness frees you up from a world of negative thought and emotions.Your last sentence say's it all either you forgive or you wont be forgiven.Study the Beatitudes in Matt. chapters five thru seven and fulfill that then will forgiveness come easy.Also once you forgive then you forget. As to bring things back up again after means you never really forgave in the first place.Just keep the thoughts and intents of your heart stayed on the Love of Jesus.Look Jesus even prayed for those that killed Him. Now that is Love. JBY .

• 4 weeks ago

Luke 17:4 Even if they sin against you seven times in a day and seven times come back to you saying ‘I repent,’ you must forgive them.”

If the wrongdoer never repents of their sin against you, God does not forgive them (Lk 13:3) and doesn't expect you too either.  Some people take the following verse out of context to try to prove otherwise.

Mt 18:34 In anger his master handed him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed.  35 “This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother or sister from your heart.”

What they neglect to mention is that the evil servant's fellow servant repented just like the evil one did (v.29), but Mr. Evil refused to forgive him.  Had the evil servant told his master, "FU, I'm not paying you a dime", do you think he would have been forgiven?  Similarly if the fellow servant had said the same thing to the evil servant, would God had expected him to forgive his fellow servant?

Now you run into a different situation when you are dealing with people who have wronged you and show no intention of repenting and would just as well wrong you again.  They are your enemies.  Jesus and Paul give direction on how to handle them (Mt 5:44; Rom 12:17-21).  Good luck and God bless.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Justin
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

There is absolutely no circumstance in which GOD offers or requires forgiveness without repentance. To 'forgive' an unrepentant person is nothing but the facilitation and spread of evil.

Making yourself 'feel better' is not an excuse for spreading more evil.

Jesus gives us a clear protocol to follow:

1) Confront the person individually and explain the offense;

2) Bring 'two or three witnesses' along with you and do the same thing again if the person does not respond to you;

3) Make the issue a 'Church project' by making others aware of the situation and the need for repentance. Receive and welcome the help from other believers, repeatedly offering creative new ways to peace, reconciliation and repentance for the offender;

4) Finally, shun the person completely both socially and financial as a Church until they repent, holding no ongoing grudges or resentment if they repent and return.  (Matthew 18:15-18). 

• Forgiveness doesn't have to be face to face. You can do it yourself, surrender your anger, it has no use for your wellbeing 

• 4 weeks ago

Jesus said in John 10:34 that we are all Gods . God loves us so much that He gave us the power to design and engage in what ever will help us to become as He wants us to be (Mat. 5:48 GT) . Basically everything that happens to you : you wanted it to so you could motivate yourself to become that .

• Don't worry about God, he can't hurt you. if whatever happened to you is beyond your ability to forgive at the moment, then don't. But don't think about it, either, if you can help it. Just try to focus on something else, and one day, without quite meaning to, you'll find that you've forgiven them.

• 4 weeks ago

Don't get caught up in the idea common sense is divine 

and good luck forgetting since that is common sense's forgiveness 

And exactly what the hell is this generic god suppose to forgive you for ?

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Under the law, God won't forgive if the person doesn't forgive first.  Jesus commented on the law in the sermon on the mount. 

But we're not under the law.  We're under grace, and under grace, you are already forgiven by believing in Jesus (Acts 10:43), so you ought to forgive (Ephesians 4:32).  Notice how it is reversed.

To forgive, tell the Lord Jesus that you forgive the person.  That simple.  It's not by feelings. 

Nobody can be good enough to avoid hell. The truth is that death leads to immediate heaven or hell, depending only on whether the person believed in Jesus for eternal life, or not.

The truth is that Jesus loves you and wants to bless your life freely :) Most of all, Jesus wants you with Him forever, and not in hell. The truth is that every belief except one will lead to eternal torment in the lake of fire for every person. Because nothing pays for our sins except the death and blood of Jesus, the sacrifice of Jesus that is already accomplished by Him . Jesus loves you! The truth is that Jesus is God, and Jesus died on the cross to pay for all of our sins in full, and then Jesus resurrected from the dead. Nothing else pays for our sins, not works, not deeds, not religions. So the only way to heaven and to avoid hell, is by believing in Jesus for eternal life (John 6:47), without adding any of your own works (Romans 4:5). Believe in Jesus to take you to heaven, and you will be in heaven, no matter what, guaranteed. That easy, thanks to Jesus! Tell Jesus that you thank Him that you will be with Him in heaven when you die, because you believe in Jesus! It is too late to be saved, after death

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.