I asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 3 weeks ago

Why reading books makes us ill?

Provide documentation on this, it's never made people ill before.

• chorle

Likely you need to get glasses or there is something wrong with the book you are reading like it is moldy 

Reading books does not make you ill.

• Marli

Please explain what you mean by "make ill".

Do you mean eyestrain?

Do you mean the subject matter of a particular book or genre creates anxious or frightening thoughts that make you feel ill?

Do you mean that you disagree so strongly with the message of the book that your anger makes you feel ill?

---

So, you meant that a book that you thought was poorly written or dissatisfied you made you feel ill?

Well, it made You ill - not Us ill. You have your criteria for what makes you like a book. I have mine. I like P.G. Wodehouse's books because I think his 1920s English country house twits are funny. My brother calls them "dreck" - not funny at all.

"Fahrenheit 451" made my grade six self physically ill because it frightened me. Several classmates enjoyed the book. A picture in my science textbook of cancer tumours on a lab rat did the same to me. It did not affect the rest of the class.

Many books I have read disappointed or disgusted me but I have not retched.  They are poorly written; or too erotic or violent; or advocate what I think wrong or devilish.  Some are too weak or implausible in argument or in plot. Yet other people praise them. Fine. They are not me. I am not them. One book that I admired because it explained much about the Roman Republic that I did not find or understand in other books was trashed by another reviewer because it was "all explanation of the Republic" and little rhetoric and blood spilt between Caesar, Brutus, Pompey, Cato, Cicero, Antony and Octavian. He and I had different wants.  The book satisfied mine but not his. It happens. No book can please everyone.

• I3 weeks agoReport

I mean it & I meant what I wanted to say,generally as a book doesn,t have a serious base(when it,s fictional & if is but mixed with personal matters & life of its author)& it is not concluded fast from,a person becomes sad & broken or even laughs badly out of the book! I remark,a book,has a heft!

• Zac Z

Does it? Can you back up this claim?

The only thing I can think of is that while you're reading you're typically not very active and being active has a positive impact on your overall health.That of course does not mean that readers are not active at all - they may be both.

• Donna

It makes you believe certain stuff depending on what you read or could bother you. Even true even though not all books do that.

I don't think it could make you ill but you could loose your + eye sight if you read when its a little bit to dark or read very small letters.

• Zac Z
      3 weeks agoReport

This is a myth, albeit one that is shared quite widely. https://opto.ca/health-library/reading-myths-debunked