Rmd asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 month ago

VRBO cancellation 10 months ahead of scheduled stay.. Need advice?

Hi, my fiance and I were planning to get married on Labor Day weekend 2020. We decided on renting a large home at the NJ shore for the week, which we intended to have family down to stay in and have our rehearsal dinner. My Mom became Ill a few months ago and we felt the need to move the wedding up to this December so she would be able to attend. We asked the owner if he would let us out of the rental ($16,000 for the week, we gave $8,000 deposit already) but he has a no refund policy on the home and has not answered our written request. I can understand if the date were 2,3 even 6 months away, but this is more that 10 months away. Can anyone advise us on how to proceed?

• Foofa

You could always get a lawyer and try to see but if the refund policy was clearly explained to you at the time you put down the deposit you may be out of luck.

Try the better business bureau

Ask the owner if she can rent it to someone else and try to make money off it. You may be able to get some of your refund or at least not have to pay for the full amount.  Don't expect to get your money back unfortunately.  The other thing I can think of is that you can save it for labor day weekend and enjoy.

• Kelly

Sorry but non refundable deposit is just that ..  a non refundable deposit.  If you agreed to the terms you agreed to waive any refund if you canceled.

It's possible the owner turned away other business after you booked and can't get it rebooked and if that's the case it would be a business/revenue loss to them.  If you paid through VRBO they have already incurred costs for your booking, VRBO charges owners a 3% processing fee to the owner when you pay.

You can try having an attorney review your contract to see if the contract itself goes against any type of state laws in NJ.

Myself I would try to negotiate with him for a partial refund or still proceed with the booking and just use it as a vacation (or see if he will let you rebook for another time).

• Dr. Stephanie
      4 weeks agoReport

This is a very good reply and it comes from someone who sounds knowledgeable, good luck...!

You accepted the terms of his contract when you signed it.     Unless his contract is in conflict with state or local law, you're probably out of luck legally.    

You might check and see if VRBO has any kind of policies that the landlord may be in violation of.   

Many vacation rental places like this rely on word of mouth and on-line reputation so there's always writing reviews.    Stick to the facts because even if the contract is in his favor, common sense is in your favor.   I find it hard to believe that the guy would be out $8k for a holiday week ten months from now if he refunds you the bulk of the deposit.   He's clearly double-dipping.

Sorry about your mum.  I'm going through the same thing with my dad at the moment. 

Consult the contract.

If you feel that he’s not Honoring the contract, then first file a report with VRBO. Then find a lawyer if that doesn’t work.

If he’s abiding by the contact ... we’ll, you’re out of luck. Sure it’s be NICE if he cut you a break because if your situation, but if the contract says no refunds then he’s not wrong if he says “nope sorry.” Feel however you want to feel about it but there’s nothing More you can do.

When did you send the email and how did you word it?   If you just asked for a return of the full deposit, this might have been a mistake.  You're asking him for a huge favor, since "nonrefundable" is pretty clear.  Obviously, you have a "good" reason, but from his standpoint, he may have turned down other requests since then.   Even if he hasn't, this is additional work for him trying to rent it. 

If it had been me writing that email, I would have acknowledged all this and offered maybe $2000 for his time and trouble. 

If you didn't do this and it's been awhile, maybe try that.  You could also attempt to get his phone # and call him.

If you signed a contract that says no refunds then it's binding...

If, before you booked and paid the deposit you were aware of the no-refund policy then there's no proceeding. There's nothing you can do. Other than request the rental be moved up.

Unfortunately you agreed to his terms and conditions. Which, non-refundable was part of. If they wont agree to move down the date at that location, and you agreed to it, you're just out. Sorry.

• audrey

I'm confused. December is next month.