Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPerforming Arts · 3 weeks ago

Should I abdicate from my pageant title? I can’t sing worth a crap and i am embarrassed to solo for events?

I have won a small local beauty pageant, and I lip synced to a recording of my friend singing to win the talent part of the pageant.

Now they want me to sing the national anthem at a little league football game, and I have tried to find out how I sound, and I sound awful and really strain on higher notes and my lower notes are barely audible, and long phrases run out of steam.

I also have been asked to sing O holy night for the holiday pops concert at the local orchestra and I sound awful on that and have the same issues.

Should I abdicate and lose 1000 dollars in college funding and make my parents have to spend even more to get me through college?

Should I see a speech pathologist to improve my singing? What should I do?

• Marli
    Favorite Answer

And if you did not tell the pageant committee at the time that you lip-synced your friend's voice, you either tell them now or you embarrass yourself, your family, your friend and the pageant officials when you attempt to sing in public.

Do you confess and bear the shame, or does your friend help you cheat again? What did she get for being your voice?

You're in a pickle, for sure. Come clean. 

Don't mean to "should" on you, but if you're planning to continue with pageants, you'd better find another talent, one that you truly possess or can learn well.

Serves you right.

Now you know not to cheat. 

A singing coach might be enough. You don't need to be a diva to carry the national anthem, you just need to sing the melody, which can be done in a register suitable for your range. A few weeks of singing lessons might be worth the investment.

This is a mess that you're in because you cheated your way to a pageant victory. You can either keep on cheating or own up to it. It's your choice.

• Cogito

Do you mean that you cheated?  You weren't meant to be lip-syncing?

If so, you have to drop out NOW.  Either confess or just make up some excuse.

And learn from the experience - never, ever cheat.  You'll always get found out in the end.

I'm assuming you told them you were lip syncing? If so, just tell them you can't sing.. They probably wouldn't want you to embarrass them if you can't anyway.