Bailey asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 month ago

do hotels normally put the full amount hold on your card then return it?

I booked a hotel at the Hilton and paid in full for it last week, but today I got a notification from my bank that the "pending" charge expired and the money was returned to my account. I called the bank and they said the hotel returned the money. so I called the hotel they stated my reservation was good to go and paid in full... so im very confused. has this happened to anyone before?

I have seen it happen before

That is typical. Same with car rentals.

Yes. They do that to ensure that your future bill will not exceed your credit limit and so the charge would be denied by your credit card company. Once they see that you are OK, they release the hold. Gas stations and some other businesses use the $1 hold just to see if the account is valid, because a gas fill-up isn't statistically likely to put someone over their credit limit.

I've seen plenty of warnings that a hold may be put on your credit card when using gas pumps, car rentals, hotels, etc.  I've never seen any significant hold as a pending charge on my credit card other than Costco will show a $1 charge as pending after I use the pump there.

It may be that the pending holds are all removed by the time I get home and log into my account but I find it odd that I never see any of these holds.  the hold may be a separate system than the pending charges that I see.

This is an error on the hotels part but don't expect to get out of paying.. they will catch it when you check in.

• Bailey1 month agoReport

well I have no problem paying, I just want to make sure my reservation isn't cancelled

Some do if you have no history, but I guess most are franchises and the owners of that franchise may have final say.

• The Football God
      1 month agoReport

I’m actually not that precise. Hilton is one of our go to hotels and left deposits, partial, and have been handled just fine. I wish you the best.