Why do Christians typically focus on the negatives in people? Like when talking about sin, Christians usually ask me if I have ever lied?

of course I have told lies, so they say I am a liar, a sinner, on a path to hell. But why do the few lies define me? I have told the truth vastly more than I have lied so I define myself as a truth teller. I also have cared for lots of people so I am a caring person. But why am I still evil because I have lusted when I was a teenager/early 20s, told lies? Why do they make a bigger mark on me than the good things?

Im just asking you (and others), Should've, "why do they make a bigger mark". Your answer just seemed to state your belief, but I want to know the "Why"

It must be because you refuse to face reality.

• Ron

In God's eyes, the bad things do not make a bigger mark than the good. In your question, you say that "Christians" focus on the negatives in people. When it comes to those that focus on the negatives in people, it is those that only CLAIM to be Christian that do these things. True Christians are followers of Christ. They follow the Scriptural teachings of Christ, and of his Father. Note the statement Jesus made about God's word here - John 17:17 - Sanctify them by means of the truth; your word is truth. - - - - God's word is truth. It is what we should rely on to guide us. Even in our associations with other people. So, WHAT does God's word of truth say about how we should treat people? Note the following passages from God's word. Proverbs 25:21 - If your enemy is hungry, give him bread to eat; If he is thirsty, give him water to drink. - - - - Jesus basically said the same thing - Luke 6:27 - “But I say to you who are listening: Continue to love your enemies, to do good to those hating you. - - - - And later, Jesus followers continued to teach the same thing about dealing with people - Romans 12:20 - But “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; - - - - That is why we know that people that focus on others negative qualities, are not TRUE Christians. Note this - Ephesians 4:29 - Let a rotten word not come out of your mouth, but only what is good for building up as the need may be, to impart what is beneficial to the hearers. - - - - True Christians are encouraged by God's word to be encouraging to others. Not tearing them down. Should ALL true Christians follow these teachings? Again, we turn to God's word of truth for the answer - 1 Corinthians 1:10 - Now I urge you, brothers, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you should all speak in agreement and that there should be no divisions among you, but that you may be completely united in the same mind and in the same line of thought. - - - - And note this Christian teaching about our relationships with others - Philippians 2:1-4 - 1 If, then, there is any encouragement in Christ, if any consolation of love, if any spiritual fellowship, if any tender affection and compassion, 2 make my joy full by being of the same mind and having the same love, being completely united, having the one thought in mind. 3 Do nothing out of contentiousness or out of egotism, but with humility consider others superior to you, 4 as you look out not only for your own interests, but also for the interests of others. - - - - True Christians strive to live by these Bible teachings. Because in addition to what Jesus said about God's word being the truth, note what this says - 2 Timothy 3:16 & 17 - 16 All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work. - - - - Yes, God's word when followed correctly, is truly beneficial. You can find true Christians, all over the earth, that strive to live by these Bible teachings. They are following Jesus' direction to preach the "good news" to people all over the earth - Matthew 24:14 - And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come. - - - - You can find free Bible lessons on their web site. And it doesn't even ask for your email address to engage in these free Bible lessons. The web site is:

www.jw.org

One thing I know: I am a great sinner: and Jesus is a great saviour.

Their intentions are good... they are trying to get you to see your sin for what it is; a cancer to your soul.  But Jesus wasn't like that.  He never got in people's faces about their sins (except to confront the RELIGIOUS people about their hypocrisy.... you know.... the RELIGIOUS people who ended up torturing him to death.... all the while claiming to work for God).

Me?  I'm like a reformed prostitute.

Learning at the feet of my saviour.

Just trying to get the other prostitutes down here with me.

See?  That's the problem with the 'religious' people.

They aren't aware of their own brokeness.  Prostitutes are VERY aware of what kind of sinners they are.

Now the question remains, what group do you belong to?

Do you think the same as the religious folk do?  That you're 'good enough' without Jesus?  I KNOW I'm not....  I am all too aware of my sin.

So I lean on Jesus for help... for salvation... for comfort... for love.... He is my source of life.  I can't even breathe without Him.  He is the Life Force that created the galaxies.  

He is not some fat man sitting on a cloud keeping score.

He is the twisted and tortured figure on a cross, dying in my place so I will never have to pay the price I owe for my sins, crimes and evil.

And I will always love Him.

You're free to spit on Him and hammer in the nails, if that's where you want to be.  It's your call.  Pound a few in me too, if it gets you through your day...

For I want to suffer with Him... because it would be the greatest honour to be martyred for my faith. 

Edit: SWR, sorry, you won’t get a say.

• Thank you, I hope that you understood I wasn't trying to spit on anyone, chastise or demean a religion, I just wanted to understand, and I reached into my Christian world view experience as a kid to ask this question. I do not think I am good enough for anything after death, nor bad enough either

• Den B7

Because the negatives reflect weaknesses that may need more attention.

It's the same reason news reports always focus on the negatives. If two people die in a car crash... that's news! The headline wouldn't be, "37 people in the city didn't die yesterday"

Which is the more likely headline: 'Police arrest Walmart shoplifter' or 'Thousands of Walmart shoppers pay for their goods'?

The negative gets the attention.

Religiously speaking, Jesus hung out with the sinners to save them, rather than the righteous people who didn't need saving.

It is easy to avoid hell.  Believe in Jesus.  That easy.

Nobody can be good enough to avoid hell. The truth is that death leads to immediate heaven or hell, depending only on whether the person believed in Jesus for eternal life, or not.

.

The truth is that Jesus loves you and wants to bless your life freely :) Most of all, Jesus wants you with Him forever, and not in hell. The truth is that every belief except one will lead to eternal torment in the lake of fire for every person. Because nothing pays for our sins except the death and blood of Jesus, the sacrifice of Jesus that is already accomplished by Him . Jesus loves you! The truth is that Jesus is God, and Jesus died on the cross to pay for all of our sins in full, and then Jesus resurrected from the dead. Nothing else pays for our sins, not works, not deeds, not religions. So the only way to heaven and to avoid hell, is by believing in Jesus for eternal life (John 6:47), without adding any of your own works (Romans 4:5). Believe in Jesus to take you to heaven, and you will be in heaven, no matter what, guaranteed. That easy, thanks to Jesus! Tell Jesus that you thank Him that you will be with Him in heaven when you die, because you believe in Jesus! It is too late to be saved, after death

Most people need to be shocked into realizing how unholy they are (compared with God, who is the standard for holiness). That's why Christians don't let people off with how they compare themselves with other - apparently worse - sinners. You who have only lied a little think worse liars should be called evil, but not you. You who care for lots of people think that somehow makes you a more worthy person than those who don't. You who have lusted when a teenager think that should be dismissed (you surely don't expect us to believe you no longer lust? Or lie?) But here's the problem:

We who sin to any degree cannot judge the judgment of God. That would be like a company of criminals passing judgment on the correctness of the law which had condemned them!

Your quarrel is not with Christians why try to alert you to the false reasoning you suffer from - you are quarrelling with God. You don't have to justify yourself to Christians (or any other person). You have to justify yourself to God on the Day of Judgment. Now, have you thought what your excuses will sound like to the Holy God who cannot look upon sin, which is the most obnoxious affront to His righteousness?

• This came up in my mind because I have been involved with a class with at-risk youth and the last lesson was explaining how you cant let anyone define you and turn your POV negative, so I applied that to Christianity (or my Christian experience) and cant figure out why we label ourselves so quick

• Hogie

The "why" has to do with the vast numbers of "Christians" who think Christianity is all about behavior modification. You are working from that same faulty premise.

People sin because it is their nature to sin. Scripture talks about the necessity of one to be "born again" in order to acquire a new nature, aka a "new heart of flesh" to replace the "heart of stone" one is born with. 

You think that good deeds/works outweigh bad deeds/works. It doesn't work that way. Jesus talks about "good trees" and "bad trees" (people) and that a good tree ONLY produces good fruit, and a bad tree produces ONLY bad fruit. What you see as a "good fruit" is negated due to the condition and motive of heart. 

You have to fix the heart.

• Jeff
      4 weeks agoReport

"The "why" has to do with the vast numbers of "Christians" who think Christianity is all about behavior modification." -- says fatty, as he eats another entire NY Cheesecake...

The Catholic Church created a culture of fear, shame and unworthiness... 

They are born sinners and NEED to be SAVED.

Sin is the Meat Ticket for the Priestly Class...

Exceptionally rediculious.... 

• If you aren't a notorious criminal, why did you post anonymously?  I figure you're either Casey Anthony or Whitney Wisconsin.

Christianity is a very negative religion.

• Annsan_In_Him
      4 weeks agoReport

There's nothing more positive than a total, free, unmerited pardon from God. There's no more glorious, good news than deliverance from the slavery that binds humanity, to be set free in Christ as adopted into God's family. Stop looking at Christianity and look at Christ. Follow Him, not a religion!