Olga asked in SportsCycling · 3 weeks ago

Is an 8kg backpack too heavy for a 3 day trek?

You talking about hiking or cycling?  If on a bicycle, let panniers do the work.  

https://www.axiomgear.com/products/bags/

I'll assume your "3 day trek" is on a bicycle.  Question posted under cycling.  8kg is about 17.6 lbs.  And that's a hell-of-a-lot to be toting around on your back for 3 days.  Why not use panniers (bike saddle bags)?  I'll guarantee you, I've loaded up my touring bike with a lot more than 8 kilograms.  No strain on my back & the bike still maneuvered or handled great.  Pic below.   

Backpacks are terrible to use on bicycles unless you'll need to carry the bicycle some through parts of a trail.  Panniers are much better to use if you don't have to carry your bicycle any.  Have you figured it out by now?  You posted in the Cycling section where questions are answered about bicycles.   You relied on YA to post the question for you instead of doing it yourself.  If this was ment to be a hiking question then use the Edit icon to move your question to the Sports>>Outdoor Recreation>>Camping section. 

Source(s): Motorized Bicycle Owner and Builder and Builder.
  • David

8 kg isn't much.

Should be easily manageable for hiking.

I'd flip the question around - is it enough?

What weather are you expecting?

What temperatures?

How much food will you need to carry?

How much water?

Will it be mostly flat

How do you intend to sleep, tent, tarp, cabins?

nah that is about right. I am at 7-9 but I am fit and strong

• Frank

No...way too light...WHERE IS YOUR FOOD AND WATER? You are going on a TREK for pete's sake. I would recommend a 30 kilo pack. Fill it with food and water.

personally if i want to include all of my toys and Big macs ill typically have a 2 ton bag but whatever you want i guess, just dont forget the toys ;)