Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 3 weeks ago

What does 'unfortunately' mean here?

I asked my friend about if they wanted to meet up one time in the next few weeks.

They got back and said 'Yeah that sounds great! - unfortunately I am quite busy until the end of the month - would that work for you?'

What does 'unfortunately' mean here?

• JuanB
    Favorite Answer

It means they WANT to meet up with you in the next few weeks but they CAN'T meet up with you until the end of the month.

It's I want to but too bad, I can't.

The use of the word "unfortunately" in this context is grammatically incorrect; that may be why you ask the question so many times with poor results. Let's use a more common example:

"Hopefully we shall meet tomorrow."

Shall we meet tomorrow filled with hope? NO

"I hope that we shall meet tomorrow."

"It is my misfortune that I am busy..."

What's truly unfortunate is not having a life and asking the same pointless question over and over.

In that usage it means luckily since he didn't really want to meet up in the first place. 

Having asked this question 50 times, have none of the answers you've received adequately answered your question?

He probably means 'luckily' but is actually saying the opposite.

• nalla

No way your boring

• Bob

Maybe open a dictionary if you have a genuine interest in the English language, unfortunately has only one meaning