Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 4 weeks ago

If time began to exist with the universe, then how could God have existed before the universe did?

I know I posted something similar but I wanted to clarify.

A sequence of events with before and after implies time. If we say that God still existed before the universe was created we are saying there was time before the universe was created. But if time began when the universe was created, there was no "before" in which God existed since the concept of before makes no sense without the existence of time. This just confuses me.

Time is in the world but time does not make sense beyond this world, as when we dream and dream, time does not make sense in sleep, because what we dream if it were awakening would take hours

• Roberta B
      3 weeks agoReport

I think Ali's point is that when we sleep soundly, we do not feel the passing of time, so if we went to sleep at 9 pm and did not wake up until 6 am those hours can seem like little or no time.

If you are referring to the bible god that is automatically eliminated, as the only information it is  showing is nothing more than 6,000 years ago.

• Roberta B
      3 weeks agoReport

Not true. The Bible  does not give a number for the amount of time that passed from the creation of heaven and earth,and the preparation of the earth for humankind, from its being formless and void to the earth that we have today and then the 6000 years only refers to the time in which humans lived

• susan

Well. I see your point. However consider this: time as we understand it is measured, counted, and described only in terms of the objects in the physical universe and their movements. 

Christians such as myself believe in a God that created all of that. I believe there was God with no physical universe, and I believe that at some point God created the universe, and all that is in it. And that universe has certain rhythms built into it, which are what we think of when we talk about time. 

So for me, talking about time existing apart from the physical universe is sort of meaningless. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the God I believe in couldn't have existed without that universe.

Does that make any sense?

Our current understanding of reality is that it is temporally based.  Therefore, anything outside of that, logically, cannot exist.  We discern the natural world around us through science.  Science uses facts to show what is actually true.  A fact is a point of data that is concordant with or indicative of whatever we are trying to show is actually true.  There is nothing, no fact, no idea, nothing to show that anything supernatural is even possible.  THAT, is a fact.

• Roberta B
      3 weeks agoReport

We cannot define that ALL reality is temporally based-that is only OUR definition. Many things exist of which we only can see their effects,including things that we still do not understand.  We can only understand God as the source of all things because we can understand that there has to be one.

Being eternal, God exists outside of time.  He started the clock ticking, so to speak, by creating the universe.

Source(s): Greek Orthodox Christian

God exists outside of time. We really don't understand time, but define it as a way of measuring and sequencing events. But our Creator said that He knows the end from the beginning. Isaiah 46:10

• Roberta B
      3 weeks agoReport

Based on scriptures such as Psalm 90:2 and the scripture above we can.  Also, prophecy from our God and Creator has always come true.

In the beginning (of time) God created the heaven (space) and the earth (matter).

God brought the universe (time, space, matter) into existence simultaneously.

God is timeless, spaceless, and immaterial

• Roberta B
      3 weeks agoReport

We cannot define that ALL reality is temporally based.-that is only our definition. Many things exist of which we only can see their effects,including things that we still do not understand.  We can only understand God as the source of all things because we can understand that there has to be one.

It would be more correct to say "For our universe to exist, time had to start." That's crucially different to saying that time began to exist with our universe. It could be the case that a form of time operates in another dimension that is not experienced by us who are confined to physical life in time-space. The Bible speaks of God and eternity. We just don't have any experience of eternity, but if God has, and if eternity is what operates in His realm of Heaven, then we cannot say it's impossible for God to exist outside of time. We can only speak of time as we know it. We do not know how God experiences time as He is a Spirit and lives in eternity. 

• Annsan_In_Him
      4 weeks agoReport

That's interesting RE. However, space could not have begun to suddenly expand if there was no time because expansion takes time. Space would have remained static without time, surely, so did not time have to come first? It's a chicken or egg situation, apparently!

God's existence isn't dependent on the Universe. Asking where God was before the beginning of time is like reading a novel set entirely inside one building and asking where the author is located in that building. God is the author of time and space.

• Roberta B
      3 weeks agoReport

ninteenthly, I can understand your analogy.  It is like trying to find the carpenter inside of the table that he/she just made - unless there was a carpenter first, with the ability to make it, there would be no table.

I don't think humans are capable of fully understanding the concept of eternity. If it has no end, does it have a beginning? It seems clear to me that there is more than one dimension to time though.

• Annsan_In_Him
      4 weeks agoReport

Does not time already have 3 dimensions - past, present and future? But I suppose you mean it operates differently outside of the universe. It's true that we cannot understand the concept of eternity.