Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 1 month ago

Can I go from GCSEs straight to Uni?

I have got 7 GCSEs, an A&B in English lang&lit and a B in maths. I moved to another country and stayed a couple of years before coming back again to the UK. This means that I missed the chance to do my A-levels with my peers and now i just want to get straight into uni, otherwise I'll be 28 by the time I finish. Is it possible? 

It depends on the uni and the course, you should have a look at access courses, they are designed for people like you to get to uni.

• Kitty82
      3 weeks agoReport

Access is an FE course, not HE. You do it at an FE college, not university. It's a level three qualification, just like A-levels or BTEC National Diploma.

• Katie

Yes you can.

Life experience is considered.

• Kitty82
      3 weeks agoReport

You would need very extensive life and relevant work experience for this to be viable. This person has none.

No, of course it isn't. If you achieved meaningful international qualifications while you were abroad they could be considered as admissions requirements but you can't begin a degree with no qualifications beyond GCSE.

Your options are to go to an FE college to complete level 3 qualifications, such as A-levels or BTEC National Diploma or Extended National Diploma (2 years full time) or an Access to HE diploma (1 year full time or two years part time), or to do A-levels via distance learning (which you would need to pay for), or to combine a vocational style qualification via an FE college with a traditional A-level, which some colleges can offer or else, again using distance learning for the A-level. Access is aimed at mature students and requires considerable tenacity and self management.

The other option is to study for a degree with the OU since they have no formal entry requirements, but is distance learning so a completely different university experience.

Nope - GCSEs aren't a sufficient qualification to get into university. You'll need A-levels or equivalent

• Lôn

No, you need A levels!

• Tavy

No, you need A levels to get into a British 

Uni. Look on any of their websites and it will tell you what they require.