Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 1 month ago

Can I go from GCSEs straight to Uni?

I have got 7 GCSEs, an A&B in English lang&lit and a B in maths. I moved to another country and stayed a couple of years before coming back again to the UK. This means that I missed the chance to do my A-levels with my peers and now i just want to get straight into uni, otherwise I'll be 28 by the time I finish. Is it possible? 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

It depends on the uni and the course, you should have a look at access courses, they are designed for people like you to get to uni.

• Kitty82
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Access is an FE course, not HE. You do it at an FE college, not university. It's a level three qualification, just like A-levels or BTEC National Diploma.

• Katie
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Yes you can.

Life experience is considered.

• Kitty82
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

You would need very extensive life and relevant work experience for this to be viable. This person has none.

• 4 weeks ago

No, of course it isn't. If you achieved meaningful international qualifications while you were abroad they could be considered as admissions requirements but you can't begin a degree with no qualifications beyond GCSE.

Your options are to go to an FE college to complete level 3 qualifications, such as A-levels or BTEC National Diploma or Extended National Diploma (2 years full time) or an Access to HE diploma (1 year full time or two years part time), or to do A-levels via distance learning (which you would need to pay for), or to combine a vocational style qualification via an FE college with a traditional A-level, which some colleges can offer or else, again using distance learning for the A-level. Access is aimed at mature students and requires considerable tenacity and self management.

The other option is to study for a degree with the OU since they have no formal entry requirements, but is distance learning so a completely different university experience.

• 1 month ago

Nope - GCSEs aren't a sufficient qualification to get into university. You'll need A-levels or equivalent

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Lôn
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No, you need A levels!

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No, you need A levels to get into a British 

Uni. Look on any of their websites and it will tell you what they require.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.