Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 4 weeks ago

what is the best way to learn multiple languages?

i've been wanting to learn quite a few languages for a while now, so that i could study abroad. i'd like to learn filipino,spanish,french,and korean. i"ve tried apps but i always end up trying to learn even more languages. i'm not even good at keeping up with stuff and keeping a schedule,so i often end up not using the app at all after a few days. learning languages has never really been too hard for me,i myself already know italian and english,and can understand spanish (my parents are salvadoran). i can kind of read hangul,and i can understand french,though just a little bit. the problem though is sticking to the languages. i always forget things,or even forget i was learning a language in the first place,and with all the homework i have to do for school, it's even harder. help?

I can speak Brazilian Portuguese because I learned on Duolingo for three months at least an hour a day then lived there for a few months. The best way to learn any language is to practice then go live where it is spoken. I struggled in high school and college with languages until I just immersed myself in the language. Just start with one language at a time trust me.

• Zirp

start with the easiest, then add harder ones.

Take classes from a good teacher, Watch movies with good susbtitles in your native language, read books with the help of a good dictionary, listen to spoken radio

finally hang out with fluent speakers

Total immersion is fine if you are  a baby, but if you are older it's better to already know the basics. Most people will not be willing to use baby-speech to an adult, and as a teen you already have a good idea about what you want to be able to say.

Babies just repeat what they hear and figure out the meaning later

I suggest you stop butterflying around and fix on ONE new language for the time being. As you already know a little French, why not go with that?

Forget 'apps'. Get a good online course and DON'T FORGET a learners' grammar book and dictionary.

Then carve out 20 minutes at the same time every day and actually STUDY.

If this works for you, and you do actually learn a reasonable quantity of French, then THAT will be the time to think about another language. Don't try to do it ALL at once!

• Don Verto
      3 weeks agoReport

Multiple languages? It is not like collecting postage stamps.
      Learning just one language well takes at least 10 years of daily exposure and interaction with natives.

get in touch with reality. if u can use an app does not mean u can speak language. and u understand French just a little bit? after learning it with apps? bollocks. quit living in a dream world.

Short of total immersion in the language and culture by moving to that country, French in Action is an excellent way to learn French. Check out https://www.learner.org/resources/series83.html# for the French in Action on the web.

• Andy C

Immersion is the best way.

I have never been to a country that speaks a different language, but after my encephalitis brain damage, I started picking up quickly on foreign languages.

10 days in Fiji and I was listening to the locals not just hearing sounds.

14 days in Hawaii and I started to fully grasp and predict the syntax of Hawaiian.

Never been to France, but I can easily read it and pronounce it as well.

In New Zealand, new friends tested me and had me pronounce a bunch of Maori names and things. I got 99%.

German comes quite naturally and now Mandarin and Korean are becoming obvious.

So, get brain damage that kills but not enough to kill you.

• edward

I grew up with three languages. English, Tagalog (Filipino) and Français. Many of the words in Tagalog are the same in Spanish, many of the words in Français are similar in English. How did i learn? My grandparents spoke mainly Tagalog to me, because they spoke English with the accent. My dad is a white guy, he only speaks English. I went to a private school in Canada. French is not optional. It just takes practice and someone else who speaks the language. French is difficult because one word can be the difference between a cake and a piece if cake. Tagalog is difficult because the pronunciation can be the difference between heart and fishing net. A lot if hearing the context and listening between words you can understand