Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

is it against copyright if I write a fan fiction about an already existing character like batman but I just change his name in my story?

Update:

and if I make small adjustments to his backstory too... like instead of being shot, his parents are knifed to death or something

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Rather than writing pure fan fiction, consider writing your own story inspired by Batman. Ask yourself, "What are my favorite parts of the Batman story and mythos, and how can I adapt them to fit my own ideas and writing style?"

When you are inspired by a story, pick out the details you like, break them down into smaller elements, and then start tweaking and changing things until your new story becomes something unique. The less you borrow, and the more creative steps you take away from the source, the more original your final outcome will be.

Let's break down the Batman story into some component details, and think about ways they could be changed.

1. Parents shot, leaving him an orphan

The new character could have been put up for adoption and been raised by foster parents, never knowing if his birth parents were alive or dead.

2. Wealthy and powerful, with vast resources at his command

Does our character really have to be rich? What if he had some other way to get all the equipment he needs? He could have a wealthy benefactor! What if his best friend from college struck it rich starting a movie streaming service, and uses the profits to pay the new character to fight crime?

3. Scares criminals by dressing up as a bat

There are countless ways to be frightening. What if our character used movie-quality special effects makeup to make himself look like a skeletal zombie?

4. Uses a variety of gadgets and vehicles to fight crime

Going along with our movie makeup idea, let's say our character is a movie special effects expert. Rather than using a batarang to swing from the rooftops or driving around in a Batmobile, he uses special effects smoke and mirrors to make it look like he can teleport from one place to the next.

While we started with Batman as inspiration, we now have The Grinning Skull, a very different character. If you wanted to, you could probably write a whole series of Grinning Skull stories without worrying about being accused of ripping off DC Comics.

• 1 month ago

If you're making all those changes anyway, why not just write your own story from scratch?

• 1 month ago

If there's a lot similarity between your character and the well known character then it might be.

• 1 month ago

No, titles, plots and characters can't be copyrighted.

• Marli
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Characters can be trademarked by the author, or his/her estate.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Maybe. Fifty Shades of Grey started life as Twilight fanfiction, so if your "not Batman" is as different from Batman as Christian Grey is from Edward Cullen, you'll probably get away with it.

• 1 month ago

Yes. If the copy right is still in effect.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If people can tell it's clearly based on Batman, then it's not allowed. You would have to change it significantly. 

• Henry
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

They check similarity, as well, not just the name.

• 1 month ago

No one will want to read about Ratman and Bobin.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.