How would you feel if a family member fed your child things you'd rather they not eat?

Let's say that you and your spouse are quite health conscious, and you've chosen to avoid feeding your children fast food, sugary drinks, or processed junk.

You have family members who are lazy cooks, and when your child visits them, they just want to give the kid fast food and whatever's microwavable. These people take offense at the suggestion that you could give them prepared meals for your kids to eat since you know they don't like to cook.  They feel you're attacking their own parenting style.

What would you do?

Favorite Answer

Personally, unless it was an immediate health concern (such as an allergy), I would leave them alone about it but maybe limit the amount of time the child spent at their house. It sounds like you're not going to win the battle- they feel defensive, and are unlikely to see the issue. I would maybe pick one of the items that they are giving the child and push for that one to not be available (caffeinated soda, maybe, or whatever feels like the biggest concern to you).

Depending on the child's age, this may be an excellent time to start talking to the child about healthy choices and fostering a love of cooking. Don't pressure or expect your child to forgo sugar and tasty things when offered (especially if those things aren't available at your house), but instead focus on teaching moderation and balance. Give the child some say about what gets cooked at your house (for example, they can start by planning the vegetables a few days a week) and then involve them in the cooking.

Giving a child choice and agency is the best way to counteract what may be harmful influences coming from elsewhere.

You could try telling them the kid is on a special diet for medical reasons, and provide a list of what can be eaten or bring already prepared food. I agree, a lot of food nowadays that isn't even real food and will easily cause a child to become ill. You could tell thrm the child has food allergies or intolerances so can only eat those certain things 

Tell em that their parenting style is irrelevant as they are not the parents. Limit the amount of togetherness if things don’t change.

If you elect to pawn your kids off onto your parents or whoever else will take them for a night or weekend and you expect your kids to eat then provide their pre-made meals while they are there! Otherwise  keep your kids at home where they belong

Well if someone won't abide by your wishes or desires concerning your children period to keep the peace put some space in between everyone for awhile especially if you have already tried to reason with them how you feel and explained your not attacking their standards or way of life you just want respect for your decisions as well and pray the children don't have to suffer or miss out on being around other children especially if it's cousins .

If I were you, I would not allow then to visit without me present to properly supervise what the child eats.

Don't leave your kids with these people if you don't approve of the foods they are giving your children. It's not rocket science

• Jill

Stand your ground.  YOU are the parent of these particular children and YOU decide what your children eat. If your extended family is offended by you supplying prepared meals, because otherwise they'd be fed rubbish,  that's their problem. 

• Jill
      2 weeks agoReport

Which bunch would that be?

• Duby

If your child visits them once in a while I would not fret about that. 

Im very vocal and dont care who I offend at all. I would be straight to the point and rather rude and make sure the point was made. And like I said before, I wouldnt care who I offend, but thats just me.