How should a female dress when interviewing for a construction job?

Would it be more appropriate to wear a dress and look feminine, or would pants or jeans be better?

I am interviewing tomorrow for a heavy industrial job, and I am wondering if dressing too feminine with a dress and jewelry might be inappropriate.

Or does it really matter at all?

Update: I took everyone's advice and wore a casual dress shirt with Dickies. I got the job. Thanks everyone!

I would wear a professional suit with jacket and pants. In case they give you a tour of the facilities. Wear sensible safe shoes like closed boots that still look professional enough for the office. Or bring a change of clothes, and offer to change, if any part of the tour would mean going out in the dirt.

• Eva

A dress would be terribly inappropriate. A nice pair of slacks, a blazer, flats, and not too much jewelry would be much better.

Like she would if she were working there already. Myself, I was in the auto parts industry for years. When I was on the road,I kept a complete change of clothes in my car, pending who I was meeting. At Cadillac dealers, they wore a tie, so did I. Other calls, my sleeves were rolled and dealt with grease monkeys.

Tight leather skirt, 6" heels and plenty of make-up. I bet you'll get hired.

Go commando and let them know.

Dress in business casual clothing for your interview. A pair of dress pants and nice shirt should be sufficient. You won't be expected to show up ...

• Judy

pants, not a dress

casual.....................