Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 3 weeks ago

Why am i scared to drive after a car accident?

I had a car accident couple days ago and Luckily, i wasn't hurt. But ever since that accident i seem more scared to drive and my heart seems to beat faster and every time i see another car turning left i panic. Is this normal? should i take a break from driving and take the bus for a few weeks?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

It can't hurt to take the bus...until the nerves calm down and is cheaper than drugs...washed down with Black Caffeinated Coffee.  So you really buzz, follow that with a Red Bull.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

No, it's not normal. Did you hurt someone? Your insurance will tell you No More Driving. Were you under the influence?

• Edna
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Don't take a break. The best way to get over your fear of driving after an accident is to keep on driving as usual. Your fear and nervousness will gradually subside.  

Several years ago, one night a drunk driver rear-ended me at a high rate of speed and totaled my car. For several weeks afterward, I felt nervous whenever I saw the headlights of an approaching car behind me in my rearview mirror. But, I couldn't give up on driving and I had to get over my nervousness. I had to go to work and driving a car was the only way I had to get there. 

• Scott
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

Get back on that horse, cowboy. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • May
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

Ask a psychiatrist.  How could anyone here know why you are "scared" ?

• 3 weeks ago

Same thing happened to me after I totaled a car, it gets better after time so keep driving.

• 3 weeks ago

Sounds pretty normal.  Most anyone would be 'shaken up' for a while after an accident.  Maybe for a few minutes  Maybe for a few days,  Maybe PTSD for years.

• 3 weeks ago

I’m a driving instructor. I would take some time off from driving and then maybe get some driving lessons. Not because your a bad driver, but because many driving schools teach how to avoid collisions. After a couple of lessons you might feel more prepared for other drivers or more in control of the car.

• DCM5150
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

If you do take driving lessons, do your research. There are many HORRIBLE driving instructors out there (at least in our area)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.