Who are the best professional editors for first-time self-publishing authors to go to?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Top 10 Self-Publishing Companies: A 2018 Guide for First-Time Authors ... offer a range of author solutions such as professional book editing and cover ... But before you go through our list, know about the two main types of publishing service ...

• 4 weeks ago

Ones you will be paying to do the work.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Go to www.aceseditors.org -- they are the foremost association of editors, copyeditors, proofreaders, indexers, etc., in the USA, and they have listings of people you can hire.

• Cara
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Generally speaking, a professional editor is paid by a publishing company once the company has made the decision to publish the book, which means making a serious investment in editing, design, printing, binding, warehousing, distribution and marketing. A typical first-time self-publishing author would not be able to afford a professional editor.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

First-time authors sometimes make a grave mistake when seeking an ... Do I understand the cost, both in time and money, of hiring a professional editor, and have I ... to get it done, do I have the budget to hire a developmental editor to ... which was later published in Journal of a Novel: “I know it is the best ...

• 4 weeks ago

That is entirely subjective and based on various factors, none of which have to with being a first-time author.

It will depend on your genre, how much editing is needed, time-frame, and the editor's area of expertise. You, as the writer, need to do your research to decide who will be the best editor for you.

• Andrew
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

His name is Christopher, and he's a super nice bloke. His office is over on Mayor's Walk. His rates are very reasonable, he always meets his deadlines, and I find him to be personable, yet professional, honest, yet kind, helpful, intuitive, reliable and very dedicated. The only thing I don't like about him is that he supports the Arsenal, is left handed, and tends to move his hands about quite a bit when he talks.

What the feck kind of question are you asking? 

For years you've been asking about character names and fonts, now you want to get your work edited. And you expect that without knowing anything about what sort of piece you'd like to have edited, without knowing where in the world you're located, and without knowing your budget we're just going to flip through the old Rolodex and hand you a name? 

It's your goddamned story. Professional editors advertise just like any other business. If you were after somebody to come 'round and steam clean your carpets, would you ask me to tell you which company to call? 

It probably wouldn't make much sense for you to shell out for a "professional" editor in the first place. Do you really want to pay $30 an hour for somebody to thumb through your story? Likely not. Hire a "semi-professional" editor, which is a nice way of saying "an amateur." You can locate one by advertising through local writing groups, by asking around at the Department of English language and Literature at your local university, etc. Most are either students or edit part time in addition to doing something else like constructing CVs for people and other things like that. 

If your town has a local paper, that would be a good place to start. Then you could ask if it would be all right to post a bulletin at your local library. 

Chris wouldn't take you on as a client anyway.   

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.