Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 4 weeks ago

Teenager in need of help?

I am in a time of crisis right now. I am 16 years old and I am all of the sudden having spells of needing to be alone and just crying all of the time. It just started recently as I had to start on the offensive line for our football team. My first games ever getting to play on offense or defense for that matter and it’s the semi finals and now the championship. On top of that, I am having a hard time making friends. There was a girl that I really liked who is super unpopular so I thought she would for sure like me since I’m slightly more popular, but no. Total rejection. I’m in a tough spot right now and am in need of advice.

• Foofa

I don't want to diminish the pain you're feeling but this "crisis" sounds like very typical teenage stuff to me. I wouldn't assume there's anything wrong with you beyond just the reality of puberty, social stressors and all the other emotional disruption that comes from being 16.

I wouldn't be 16 again for any money in the world! It's perfectly all right to want times of being along. The crying is more troublesome. You may have clinical depression. That's nothing to be embarrassed about. It's caused by the brain not producing some chemicals it's supposed to produce. There are short term medications that can kick start the brain into producing the chemicals. It's no worse to seek help for it than it is to seek medical help for appendicitis. As for the girl- maybe she's got a crush on someone else. Don't take it too personally. 

I know this is not generally accepted among teens- but life gets a lot easier in your 20s and 30s. Try not to think of your teens as do-or-die. We're all a lot happier when we have more control over our lives, and a better idea of what we're doing. 

• You're going through puberty. You're going to have mood swings. Then you won't.

Alone time is good. So is crying, just not all the time, and (for guys) not in public.  

Being rejected isn't a big deal. You wouldn’t want to be with someone who doesn’t want to be with you

anyway, so it’s good to know as soon as possible who that is. That way you can turn your attention to someone else as soon as possible. 

You get better at making friends with practice. Practice makes improvement. Stay positive.

Football is hard on your head. Be careful.

• .

Has there been any arguments going on in your home? if so you can feel the tension, even if you're not taking any notice, but you could be feeling something subconsciously. Do these episodes of dark feelings come around when you are getting close to a school exam or test?

If you're 16 you could be having a growth spirt, that can take a toll on your whole being, my daughter had a violent growth spirt and she was in physical pain not to mention she was also moody with everyone. You could go to the doctor and see if that's what is happening. Moodiness could be a signal of a growth spirt, but please don't take my word for it, check with a doctor first, before deciding what could be the cause of these emotional issues.

You need to talk to a professional, not a bunch of self-proclaimed "experts" in what boils down to a chat room.