Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 4 weeks ago

Redeemable or Irredeemable?

I am writing a book and I want to know what people prefer. Do you like when the antagonists is redeemed or not?

For me not necessarily unless the antagonist becomes the anti-hero. Generally I think the hero should overcome his flaw.

• Marli

It is your decision,. If you are going to be true to the message of your story, the antagonist does what that story requires.

In Shakespeare's play "Macbeth",  Macbeth had to die at Macduff's hand, even when he realized what his regicide had cost and how rotten he had become.  He had to go on killing because to him it was useless to seek forgiveness.  He had made himself evil, so he was irredeemable. Death was his fate, and by the man whose innocent family he had murdered. Even when we feel some pity for the trapped widower Macbeth, stripped of the delusion that no man born could harm him, the message was that tyrants and murderers must die.The repentant thief crucified with Jesus Christ was forgiven.  That is the message of the Gospel story.  Take the story as fiction or as factual, Jesus forgiving a contrite criminal who believes in Him is in character to how Jesus was portrayed in the story: that Jesus is King and that He can and will redeem the penitent sinner to calls to Him.  Their words are "true to the message in the story."If you intend to redeem your bad guy, you can't tack a confession and absolution scene to the end of the book.  You should foreshadow through the story that he is not comfortable about his wicked actions.

• Andrew

When I go to a restaurant, I expect to be asked what I would like, but when I'm reading a book, I don't like being asked. I don't want to tell the author what to do. I expect that he or she is going to take the initiative and furnish me with a piece of writing that doesn't come with a survey or a set of instructions. I read my last "Choose Your Own Adventure" book when I was about 8 years old. I'm done with all that. If you don't know what to do with your story, then step aside and allow other writers - more imaginative, more confident, and more decisive people, to do all the writing. I like it when authors demonstrate competency, and have no time whatsoever for silly people who think that polling strangers constitutes plotting out a piece of writing.     

I hope you're better at writing this so-called book of yours than you are at writing questions because the question you asked up top isn't the same as the question you explain that you're asking in your details.  "Redeemable" and "redeemed" aren't the same thing.

Any character that is irredeemable is a poorly written, one-dimensional character.  That doesn't mean that I think all characters should be redeemed, though.  A character being redeemable, for example, but failing to be redeemed, failing to grasp his or her redemption, is an avenue towards interesting, multi-dimensional character development and plot, but so is a character finding redemption.  It depends on the story.  It depends on how well it's written, particularly how authentic it is.

I'm just reallt and I don't think I would've been 9