Trying to figure out why my pc won't boot ?

So I am trying to transfer over my optiplex 9020 motherboard and parts to a new case. I got everything plugged in and at first when I plugged in the power supply cable everything would turn on for a second and then turn off. I have pictures of everything I currently have plugged in maybe I missed something? 

Take everything out. Check the standoffs and make sure they are lining up with all of the holes.  If there are extra standoffs get those out, and if there aren't enough get the ones you need and in the proper place.  You need a standoff and a screw for every hole in the motherboard.  If any of the standoffs are touching the board in the wrong place it will short it out.  Some cases have bumps for standoffs but from the looks of it this one has standard standoffs.  It looks like you are missing screws.  Get those in there.  You do not want your motherboard flexing.  If your motherboard cracks it will fail.

Looking closer I notice that is a Dell motherboard and is proprietary to the case that was made for it.  You will most likely not be able to use that case to be honest.  I can almost guarantee that case is shorting your motherboard out.

It also looks like the power connections are proprietary as well so you are stuck with using the one supplied by dell.  It almost looks as if you are using two power supplies.  If you are, that will not work.

There are options for mounting a proprietary board to something else like a wooden board but probably not that case.

• Lv 7

check the power / reset button cables. that is the usual culprit...

Are there stand offs between the motherboard and the case? If not, add them!

do you get beep tones or mobo display? if not, i recommending unplugging everything and then adding one item at a time ... with mobo being first added back. this is to isolate where the problem is

Did the new case come with a new power supply? If so, it sounds like it might be bad, or it's a "switching" power supply that is intentionally switching itself off. If so, then leave everything as is, and unplug the new power supply, and re-connect the old one. (just hanging there). If it works, then it's the power supply. If it doesn't, then it's not. But a case can't be "bad", unless something isn't grounded properly. 

• Starrysky
      1 month agoReport

Some Dell systems in the past have unique power connections to motherboard sockets that a standard power supply's plugs may not duplicate.  The Optiplex has 8 pin power socket as well as a couple 4 pin ones.  The standard power supply plug has either 20 or 24 positions.

it's not a really great picture, but from what I can tell, everything is plugged up properly.  I would suggest this....Take all the parts out of the case and plug them in together OUTSIDE the case.  See if it all works then.  What this proves is whether or not there is a short in the connections of the MB to the case. 

Make sure you are using paper washers with the brass standouts or plastic standouts all round.  

i would take it to a computer store and maybe they can fix it for you