Is it realistic to come home every other weekend if i went to college 2 hours away?

I used to spend 3 hours a day travelling to and from work so 2 hours once a fortnight does not really sound that much to me.  If you take public transport then you could use the time to study.  If your parents asked you to do that then try to do just that.  Eventually you can shift it to once a month and no one will really notice.  

What would be the point?  Once a month would be great - you need to find "you" and not continue to be JUST your parent's child - which is what you'd be FOREVER if you kept coming home every weekend.

It is certainly possible, but it isn't a good idea.  Sorry.  Sure, you can spend 4 hours driving back and forth -- that isn't that far.  The issue is that you will be missing out on establishing friendships, getting involved in campus/college activities, working on group projects, and having access to libraries and other facilities.  

Yes it is. I know plenty of people who live two hours away and yet come home every day. There are also many people who visit every weekend. Visiting every other weekend shouldn't be a problem, as long as you have a means of transportation and can afford the cost of commuting every other weekend. 

It can good to get away from the college campus every so often and spend time with your family, and it is most definitely realistic. 

Yes, of course. I know students who are 6 hours away who come home for the weekends. But you may find after a while that you don't want to come home because of all the activities on campus. 

• Kate

2 hours away? Goodness, I have driven that far every day for some of the work I have done.

Yes. Most people I know whose homes are 2-3 hours away from college go home every other week and sometimes even every week.

• mokrie

That's pretty good if you can really do it. Lots of students would only go once a month at most.

i dont see anything wrong with that

No, it's not.  I had such lofty intentions and I went to college 45 minutes from home.  I don't think I ever actually did that.  You immediately make friends and start having obligations like studying and whatnot.  I guarantee that when Friday rolls around and thousands of kids your age are starting to all have a super good time to give themselves a break before next week's studies start again, you're going to start getting major FOMO and the last thing you're going to want to do is go back home where nothing's going on except boring old family stuff.  And you'll be used to staying up until two or three in the morning, but your folks will want you in the house by 11 or 12 because they don't want to have to worry, which you'd complain about if you even had anyplace to go until that late, but you don't because all your high school friends are just gone -- away at college, working jobs, or whatever.