1986 Harley heritage softail FLST clutch cable not doing anything felt like clutch was seized but is not, primary cover off.?

I have the clutch plates off and the cable is feeling like it’s doing nothing, even when I pull it from the cable manually because the lever has so much slack and does nothing. the bike is stuck in neutral and rolls freely any idea what’s going on? One day I was on a ride after just buying and she wouldn’t come out of neutral and the clutch lever became free with lots of play 

• (A)

Possible cable broken inside the cable housing, clutch actuation rod worn to farad or worm actuator is worn out.

• adam

clutch plates off? You removed the plates? You have a clutch spring compressor? Or do you mean primary cover off? Sounds like broken clutch cable. or seriously out of adjustment. See that screw in the middle of the clutch? Thats the adjustment screw. But first you need to add freeplay at the clutch lever. There is a point in the clutch cable where you will notice it is threaded. Thats where you add the free play . Turn that untill the clutch lever is loose and and sloppy. Now go back to the clutch adjustment screw in center of clutch. Turn that IN until lightly seated . Then back it OUT about an eighth to a quarter turn. Now go back to threaded section of the cable and turn until the the freeplay at the lever is almost gone and you feel the tension on the clutch again. Of course if the cable broke thats all a moot point . Get a new cable .

• Cap'n. America
      3 weeks agoReport

Just looked it up. 1/2 to 1 turn.  Rider  magazine says one turn for a twin cam  here is a lot of  latitude with the cable adjustment. 

Clutch plates off? Does not make sense.

Sounds like cable broke (been there)

Cable goes from lever to transmission cover on right side.

Loosen the adjuster in the middle as much as possible.

Disconnect cable from the lever.

If the busted cable can be pulled out, it's busted.

EDIT:  "clutch  plates off" ? I think you mean; Derby  Cover. Getting plates off means you have a Book to show you and compressor and probably don't need our help...

Cable sounds broke,  but really have 2 eyeball it.Go to center of cable, back off nuts all the way and screw in the adjuster all the way.  Back off center screw to clutch, then in until it  Just Touches, then back off  1/2 to one turn and lock nutted.   Work clutch lever 3x to set release mechanism. . Go back to cable adjusters and  tighten  until you can easily   pull  1/16"- 1/8" of the cable e out of the lever mount.,

I had a lot of Grinding  getting in first, so I tightened mine a bit. Different primary oil helps, too.

I am putting in a fancy SS braided/Teflon-lined clutch cable, I'll  send you my old one If it fits for postage  ,only.  It  Should. Its a bit Rough to get into the RH gearbox  cover, my Pipes are in the way. Haveta to get cable out. 

EDIT: Hang around a Moose Lodge, they have riders. Make a friend, buy a beer when he invites you in. Harley owners are Family, love to help  each other out. 

ID blame you for avoiding dealer or a shop.$50-$100 per hour; I just spent $800 on new cams, tensioner, bearings, lifters. And, This is doing work My self.

maybe you should have a mechanic check it out

• Cap'n. America
      3 weeks agoReport

'06 is an Orphan year. many who sell cam kits then say" Not for an '06 Dyna".  Bummer..

• WB

Either your cable needs adjustment, or you need a new cable. Check your lever to make sure that it's not broke. I recommend getting a shop manual.

• Cap'n. America
      3 weeks agoReport

I got FX wiring online,  I figured out how tach works from data bus to D-A converter.  Was going to build a comparator and relay  to shut off headlite if RPM below 1200 or so.