Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 4 weeks ago

what's the meaning of "clearing" here"?

Hi,

If the weather is bad and someone said, the plane will depart at first clearing.

I think "clearing" here means "the weather gets better".

if your a native English, does this make sense to you? use clearing to mean in this context to mean that?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

I have never heard the term “clearing” used for aircraft departures.  The aircraft controllers decide when an aircraft is “cleared” for takeoff though.  That means they are giving approval for the aircraft to depart on the runway.

The word clearing is often used to describe weather that is improving, as in “rain showers clearing” or rain stopping, clouds moving away and sunshine reappearing once again.  

• 3 weeks ago

I can see clearer now the rain has gone. I can see all obstacles in my way

• 3 weeks ago

If my what is a native English? Think you should have spelled "you're".

• 3 weeks ago

I believe that in your sentence it does mean 'when the weather starts to get better', but I have to say I've never actually seen or heard the expression 'at first clearing'.

PS: "If you're a native English speaker" ...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Yes, in this case "clearing" means "when the visibility is clear." It should say "at the first clearing."

• 3 weeks ago

no, I would not speak that way.  When the whether clears, sure,  first clearing? nope.

In fact, the phrase makes me think that they are not talking about the weather.  There is not usually a "first" clearing when it comes to weather.  It either clears or it does not clear.  There are no multiple clearing events to count.

I can only assume that they used the word "first" to mean "as soon as", once the thing begins, its onset, its first appearance.

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Like you, I believe that's what they mean. But the phrase 'first clearing' is quite unknown to me.

• 4 weeks ago

it means the weather is better

• martin
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

"Clearing" could refer to the weather, but only if the weather has been very bad, preventing take-off. Normally, a plane is "cleared" for take-off when the control tower people tell this to the pilot over the radio communication system.

• Nickname4 weeks agoReport

To add on to this, a plane may be waiting to be cleared if other planes are currently in the process of landing/taking off.

• 4 weeks ago

"The weather is clearing up" means the weather is improving, or more specifically that the clouds are moving away revealing the clear blue sky.

• 4 weeks ago

Yes.  Clearing is when it stops raining, when the clouds go away and the sky is clear.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.