What is the instrument in Elton John's - Your Song?

Obviously there is a piano, but i'm wondering what that string instrument is? It isn't a guitar, it sounds more like a banjo? Or even a harp?

It plays very clearly at 2:12 ish, 2:44ish of the song if that helps.

Update:

i listen to the version on spotify, i assume that is the standard studio version.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Wikipedia notes for the song indicate 4 guitars were used in the production of the track, including an acoustic guitar, a 12 string guitar and a bass guitar. The only other instruments listed are Elton's piano and Barry Morgan on drums, so it has to be a guitar, most likely either the 12 string or the acoustic. Of course, there's a number of different recordings of the song, so it might help if you link the specific one you're talking about.

• Me2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Although the liner notes don't make the distinction, one acoustic guitar is a nylon-strung classical, whose stronger attack and faster decay gives a more plucky sound.  It has a harp-like timbre in the upper register, and when harmonics are played.

• Tony B
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It sounds like a harp. Tonally it could be a nylon string acoustic guitar but not playing those parts.

I doubt you'd find it credited anywhere as it was just one of the instruments in the orchestra conducted by Paul Buckmaster.

• martin
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

There's a flute in with an electric piano. There are violins. There's a lot in there, sounds like half the London Philharmonic Orchestra. When the British back a singer, they don't fool around.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.