Stephanie asked in PetsCats · 3 weeks ago

Royal Canin or Hill's for cat early kidney disease?

My cat had some tests done and the vet has detected early kidney disease. She recommended her to go on a prescription diet (she listed Royal Canin and Hills as well as Purina ProPlan--but I'm not a fan of Purina products). I have been researching on my own and am hearing mixed feelings about both of these brands. I am wondering if anyone's kitty has gone through this and which food (and flavors) you found worked best for your kitty.

Get a few varieties of each brand to start with. See what kitty likes best. I use Royal Canin myself & they have 3 formulas of wet & 3 formulas of dry. But cats are weird. What they love one week, they hate the following week, lol. I like to have a bit of everything on hand.

Use a shock collar.

• Ocimom

Vets are paid to push certain prescription diets.  I don't believe in feeding any of my cats dry food for any excuse.  They get canned and some raw.  Look up raw feeding your cat and see if you can work with that and your cat rather then giving dry food.  

Here's the link I used:  https://catinfo.org/making-cat-food/

• Carrosh3 weeks agoReport

FINALLY someone sensible enough to actually care for what the cat eats. Why don't people take their time to read up on stuff like this BEFORE they get a pet?

• Maxi

An ideal diet for a cat with renal disease should have a highly digestible, bio-appropriate protein content, such as rabbit and poultry. Many of the toxic products that accumulate in the blood in renal failure are a result of protein breakdown.

Vets who are trained in health care NOT diet, only recommend what they sell so they can earn lots of commission and 99% of vets know nothing more about the food they recomend that what the sales rep tells them........... so the last place I would get advice about food is from a vet

I feel strongly against royal canin because they do not list the amount of meat they have in their extremely overprised prescription food. my cat is on prescription diet as well for his allergy now, I feed him hills but I m not happy about it either.

and the retarded idiots who say raw feed your cat make me so annoyed - with the prices of prescription cat food I could easily afford to feed my cat fillet mignon every day if only  HE WOULD EAT IT. so all u raw feeders - SHUT THE FCK UP

• Ocimom
      3 weeks agoReport

Have you ever taken the time to READ about raw feeding.  It involves mainly chicken - not felet mingon and it can be a lot less to feed then you think.  Don't knock it till you try it.

NEITHER. They're both CRAP. Feed your cat a quality grain free food, canned DAILY with as little phosphorus as possible. Get the cat on Epakitin. It's a phosphorus binder that is a tasteless powder you mix in their canned food. My cat with renal disease is drinking MUCH less water and eating more since I started her on it several months ago. https://amzn.to/2O5iZsc

Neither. She should be on a good quality canned food. You can add water to the food if needed. Check out the website Ken S linked to. 

• Ken S

Neither. Do your research (www.catinfo.org)

The idea behind that stupid diet is that the kidneys will need to work less with low protein but cats need protein to survive.

A raw food diet would be best followed by quality canned foods with no grains

• No Mercy
      3 weeks agoReport

yeah, make your cat read it and then follow your orders 

i would talk to your vet about it

I would suggest you get a small quantity of each and see which your cat finds appealing.  There's no point in spending money on an expensive product that isn't getting eaten.  I have a cat that has "required" a prescription diet for chronic struvite and oxalate crystals, and in testing he prefers Royal Canin S/O dry over Hill's...won't touch the prescription wet from any brand.  So, I compromise and feed him the Royal Canin dry and a limited assortment of Fancy Feast wet.  You can do an internet search for foods for kidney issues -- there are a number of them that aren't prescription that are better than standard wet food.   My Mr. Pushy has been on his diet for 4-1/2 years, is doing well and his test numbers are stable.  I'm happy.  Look into getting your prescription food from Chewy's...it's a few dollars less than what the vet charges and you save 5% more when you set it up on autoship.