Pain in upper right side and back?

I’m looking for help because I’m tired of this pain and don’t know what it is. A few days ago I woke up with this really sharp pain on the right side of my upper back, just below the shoulder. As the day went on, I noticed the pain would radiate back and forth between my back and the right side of my chest. The worst pain is on my side between the chest and my back. I went to the ER and they did a chest X-ray and bloodwork which came out normal. But the pain is getting worse a day after I went to the ER and I don’t know what to do. Any idea of what it could be?

8 Answers

  • 3 weeks ago

    It could be your gallbladder. These are classic signs of this.  Sometimes it will not show up on an xray or it will not show up on blood work all the time.  You will need to get an ultrasound or upper scope to see if it is this.  At least that was in the case that I had when my gallbladder had gone south.  All my blood work and x-rays were normal, but my ultrasound and egd shows sludge/stones in my gallbladder.

  • Linda
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

    It might be muscle spasms or something else completely different. It doesn't seem to be an emergency but you need to set an appt asap to see your primary to get this checked out. They may need to order tests to determine what it is.

  • Edna
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    Could be your gallbladder and pain from gall stones, although that pain is usually felt on the  right side of your upper abdomen, just below your rib cage, but that pain will radiate into your back. 

    A chest X-ray can't diagnose gall stones. It takes an ultrasound to be able to "see" gall stones.

  • 4 weeks ago

    i would go see your doctor and get it checked out

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    maybe you should go see your doctor about it and get it checked out

  • 4 weeks ago

    You may have pleurisy. It is an inflammation of the membrane surrounding the lungs called the pleura. These X-rays will be normal if you have only pleurisy without fluid. I would suggest seeing a Pulmonary specialist.

  • 4 weeks ago

    Here's a bizarre idea make an appointment with your doc

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.