Is reading books bad for your eyes?

I am currently having eye and head pain because I've been on my computer for too long. So i was thinking about reading a book. Will that make it worse?

Favorite Answer

I think you should give your eyes a break from the computer screen. If you wear glasses then get lenses with the anti-violet light reflective coating. Once I started wearing those my eye strain was greatly reduced.

I think reading book is good for eyes than computer. Because the computer has a blue light. Blue light is bad for eyes. I think it's easier to read a book. 

Looking at a computer screen is a strain on the eyes, and so is reading, but they are DIFFERENT kinds of strain.

So looking away from your screen for any length of time is always a good idea.

• Marli

Yesterday I had eye and head pain from listening to an audio book while crocheting with fine yarn for several hours.  Only a night's sleep helped. A book made it worse.

Rest your eyes for a night or 24 hours. No reading on any device. No "close work" like knitting or model car building. Look into the distance. Sleep. If the pain reoccurs, get an eye exam and take the eye doctor's advice.

Some people are concerned that they should not read too much because it will wear out their eyes. Although extensive or prolonged reading of fine print can cause eye strain, there is no evidence to suggest that it will damage or wear out your eyes. Myth: Wearing contacts prevents nearsightedness from getting worse.

• Nunya

Reading books may cause your headaches to worsen but they do not cause headaches on their own. Reading from a computer screen for long periods of time can harm your sleep and mental health.

Check with an eye doctor.

The thing is, a lot of my browser pages, home pages, etc. are white and so they are naturally very bright. also I'm under 16 sooooooo :/

• Kyle

they make glasses that are tinted for computers and monitors.  maybe go to your eye doctor and discuss more about it.

you should take frequent breaks every hour if you can to not strain yourself.

if your computer or apps you use have a "dark mode" setting, try that and see if that helps as well.  

• Loga4 weeks agoReport

even on the lowest setting my computer's light is bright enough to reach the ceiling when i point it upward

• And

No

...............