Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

What would you do if you found a dog and years later the previous owner wanted her back?

About 3 1/2 years ago we were in the process of moving and we had to bring my dog to my uncles house where he was suppose to foster her for 6 months. We tried calling & calling but he never paid his phone bill. Finally after 6 months & us ready to have our dog back, we drove an hour away to my uncle's house. When we got there we were shocked/heartbroken to find out she ran away a few weeks after we brought her to him. We put up signs and checked the closest animal shelters down south. We never checked the north shelters (we didnt know about that shelter) after years of searching for her (putting up posters EVERY year) we came across a picture that the north shelter posted. She ended up being adopted. I reached out to the shelter & they're trying to set up a reunion. Is it rude to ask the new owners for the dog back? Offer them $500? What would you do if you were the new owner and saw how happy the dog/previous owners were to reunite? Would you give her back if they asked for her back? We had her for 6 years before she got lost. We taught her everything she knows. We loved her and never stopped searching for her. Please give me your honest opinion of what you would do! Thank you 

There's no harm in asking for your dog back but her new owners are under no obligation to give her back.  It's entirely up to them.  Please respect their decision to keep their dog if they choose to do so.

• Ocimom

Sorry for your loss.  IMO the shelter was wrong to even set up any kind of reunion.  I would let it go and not try to see your dog or ask for it back.  Its part of THEIR family now and you should leave it be.  Adopt another dog but don't even go to see your old dog.

Sad as this situation is of course, IF the dog is happy and settled where she is, I'd leave her.   It might be possible to arrange to see her from time to time, although it might upset her if you keep turning up and going again ..... assuming she reacts positively to seeing you at all.

I'd not think it rude to ask to have the dog back, just very unwise - but please think about the dog and what's now best for her.   And I suspect that will be to leave her with her now family.  And unless it's not going well I'd NOT ask to have her back.

Most Shelters won't tell you where a previously rehomed dog is.

I'd use a shock collar.

If you as the owner went to the time and effort to get a microchip put in then you should have gotten the dog back because shelters scan for the chips and they would have called you. Obviously you did not microchip the dog. The shelter scanned, did not find the chip and put the dog up for adoption. Also just how much love do you have for a dog if you are willing to give it to an uncle for six months? Also why did he not call you when the dog ran away? IMHO the loss of your dog is ALL your fault. The people adopted a shelter dog in good faith and they are in no way at fault with this. All you will do is upset them and perhaps the dog. Face it, you did not do all you could do to keep your dog so now it is no longer your dog. NEXT time you get a dog, get it microchipped and licensed. Keep it with you. And the second it runs off, start looking for it.

• odd

After 3.5 years the dog is no longer "yours" It's adopted its new family. Time to move on.

I just found your "question" when you were searching for your dog.  "Dog has been missing for 9 months!!?"

Yes, that's the entire post.  No LOCATION, nothing.  Just those 7 words.  Is this an example of how you looked?

It's no longer your dog.

How old are you?

1 - My dogs are microchipped so I never have to face this;

2 - I don't leave my dogs with irresponsible relatives;3 - If I called and called and my relative didn't answer I'd be at his front door; I'm sure you gave your uncle money for the dog's food and Vet bills.  What did he do with that money? (that must have been one h*ll of a move if you were too busy to check on your dog for 6 months);4 - I am not aware of ANY shelters that will reunite a family that adopted a dog 3-1/2 years ago with the previous (irresponsible) owners;

5 - Is it RUDE to ask for "your dog" back?  I don't think it's rude.  I think they would be fools to return the dog to you,but maybe they need the $500;

6 - I rescued/adopted a dog.  The owners had "lost track of her and tried to find her for months."  I don't know how they found my address, but they showed up at MY house and attempted to unlock my gate and take her.  They were arrested for breaking and entering and attempted theft.  She was MY dog, not theirs, LEGALLY;

7 - You don't know that the "previous owners" and dog will be happy to reunite;  That is your assumption, but you're also the person who left the dog with the irresponsible relative and then did NOTHING for 6 months while the relative refused to return your calls;

8 - You taught her everything she knows?  Really?  And you haven't seen her in how long and have NO idea what she knows now?

9 - You asked for honest.  This is my honest opinion.

that depends on them, they might be nice enough to give her back or at least let you go visit her

• *****

After 3.5 years (!), I would be happy knowing she had found a good home and would not disrupt their presumably happy existence again, but let the shelter know that if it didn't work out with the current owners, I would happily take her back.