Weird Period or Pregnancy or What?!?

Okay, so I will start this out with a small story. I'm 19 and I lost my virginity 4 days ago. It was a spur of the moment thing and it was both of our first times, and we didn't use protection. He pulled out, but it may not have been perfectly on time. I'd been looking into some things of what not to do when you're pregnant just in case, especially because I knew there was a possibility of some sort of hyperovulation, since fraternal twins run in my family.

Anyway, a day or two ago, I started getting VERY light brown blood. Like, barely appearing. This isn't uncommon for me, so I figured this might be the start of my period. It stopped this morning, but sometime this afternoon, I got some bad cramps and suddenly a small-medium amount of blood started sliding out quickly, a lot of which was clumpy (picture jelly) and a ton of which was "stringy", which was especially obvious in the toilet. Then, it was pretty much over, and there's been nothing since then (it was before 1pm and it is now 7pm). I've never noticed period clumps/clotting/whatever during my "time of the month".

I don't THINK this is a sign of pregnancy or miscarriage? Or maybe it is? If it's my period, it is behaving extremely strangely, and I'm worried something might be wrong health-wise. This is all overwhelming for me, and I'm wondering, if this IS a sign of period/pregnancy, how long should I wait to take a pregnancy test, just to be sure?

Please be kind and don't assume "rarity = impossible". Thanks!

• Jill
    Favorite Answer

Was your period due when you started spotting? If so you wouldn't have been fertile 4 days ago so you couldn't be pregnant. If your period isn't due yet wait until it is. If it doesn't happen then take a test. 

Note to your future self: Pulling out is NOT birth control. 

Update: If your period is irregular (or you don't track it) then wait 3 weeks from when you had sex before testing. 

• Sienna4 weeks agoReport

And, yes, we were pretty stupid in that regard. We weren't supposed to have birth control because we planned to wait until marriage. So, it was a definite spur-of-the-moment thing. We're both preparing, just in case.

• MissA

Four days ago = it is too soon to have symptoms of pregnancy, even if you conceived.

Chill out, wait for your period, and maybe use this experience to make wiser decisions in the future.

• Sienna4 weeks agoReport

Thank you for the advice! I definitely will have better judgement later on, we both realized the stupidity of our actions right away. Sorry for freaking out, I just know very little about this sort of thing!

I just thought I'd mention this since you seem kind of young minded. Of course there's always a chance you'd get pregnant from sex, soo it's perfectly ok to think about that. It doesn't actually sound like a pregnancy symptom, especially soo early, it sounds more like a weird + short period, or your vagina just cleaning out old blood from your previous period, wich just happens sometimes. I wouldn't worry unless you start getting worse symptoms that continue for more than a few days.

• Haystack4 weeks agoReport

You're welcome. I very much suggest looking up information on sex ed types of websites, you'll get better answers and know better what to look for compare to YA.

If you conceived, the child would not yet have implanted and there would be nothing to see with a miscarriage.

Is your period due?