Why are the petals falling off my Cosmo flowers?

I have cosmo flowers I planted from seeds that are now blooming. The first flower bloomed a few days ago and already the petals are falling off. There's no sign of decay on any of them, and others are blooming as well. I'm not sure what this means or if there's something wrong with the plant. I am a beginner at growing flowers.

Is my plant dying already? The rest of the plant looks fine, I don't know what's going on. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks so much to everyone for their answers. I really appreciate it. Now I understand more about these flowers! :)

Favorite Answer

Petals falling off is perfectly normal. Some flowers lose petals quickly, some do it slowly, but they all do it. I grow cosmos. The flowers don't last long. Once the petals have fallen off, cut off the stalk where the flower was. That is called 'deadheading'. It encourages the plant to make more flowers because where the petals were is where seeds form. If the plant can't produce seeds because you cut off the flower head, the plant will produce more flowers to try and make more seeds so it can reproduce itself.

• frank

The petals on cosmos are delicate, and they do not last very long. Also, you have little finches with yellow or red breasts that are very much attracted to this flower for its seeds. They sit on top of the branched, and tear the petals off to get to the seeds.

I am not sure but it could be ok.