Could my power be going out in my room because my roommates are using too much electricity?

I live in an older apartment complex, not like 1930s but more like early 2000s (I know that is not considered old but compared to some apartment complexes that were built in 2017, it is). I have 3 roommates and one of them is never home. The other two are home pretty regularly and always have all of their lights on (bedroom light and fan, bathroom and closet) along with TVs and such being plugged in. My power is the one that always goes out even though I only have 3 things plugged in (phone charger, computer charger and a heating pad). I have had to start unplugging them when I leave because I will come home and my power will be out. The power will also go out when I have those three things plugged in and they are not home but all of their lights and fans are on. Could their leaving their lights on be the reason that only my power goes out? I have talked to maintenance staff and they told me there was nothing they could do and I should start unplugging stuff when I leave. Like is my room "last" to getting power because their stuff is always running, causing my power to go out?

edit: I do not have any stuff plugged in if I am not using it. I used to have stuff plugged in all the time and now even when I have stuff unplugged it turns off. Unfortunately I need the things that I have plugged in. I have chronic pain and cannot sleep without my heating pad and I can't just not have my phone and laptop charging overnight so I am stuck in a pickle.

most likely possiblility is that the same electric circuit is probably powering our room and other stuff within the apartment and its the other stuff that is causing the power to go out (that is tripping the breaker).  Unplugging these minor things probably wont help you need to figure out what the other stuff is that is causing the problem and look to getting that fixed or unplugged. Another possibility is that there is a short in the circuit that intermittently trips the breaker.  

doubtful, unless you live in a 3rd world country

Assuming you live in the U.S. you should always have power.. Building code requires it. Sounds like maybe an electrical problem... short or something. Maybe an issue with the breaker box?

You've gotten plenty of good advice.  Usually all bedrooms are on the same circuit so if it's just your bedroom there is a problem with the wiring.  Report it to maintenance.

No, that's not it. You will as much power as you need, if you are paying the bills. What it is is an overloaded circuit. There is too much current being drawn on one circuit. Circuits can handle only so much current at any given time. In a new place, you just have to learn what devices can be used at the same time, and what is on the same circuit. When you learn it, you can plug things in elsewhere. The lights shouldn't go out though. It sounds like a problem that needs repair, not too many devices running at the same time. Report the electrical problem to the landlord. It could be a hazard that could become dangerous at some point.

It means one of two things. The outlets themselves need to be replaced new ones or there is a faulty fuse in the circuit breaker and it needs to be replaced.  It happens and it is not just because others are using power. It was built to handle this much if necessary.  The maintenance staff is being to lazy to do it or they are idiots and don’t realize what it is. 

Source(s): Former maintenance supervisor for 300 plus apartment complex built in the 90s

If only your room is losing power, then it is only because of your things, or bad wiring, or a faulty circuit breaker. If their things were causing or contributing to the problem, then they would be losing power too.

Sounds like you share a common circuit since you say your power will go out when your stuff is plugged in and their stuff is also running.

you need to look at the loads but lighting (unless it's a power hungry halogen light), a heating pad, phone charger, fan, etc shouldn't overload a household circuit.  That circuit should be good for about 1500 W or more.  Add up the loads and see what the total is. 

You are probably overloading your circuit which is not necessarily your fault, but a combined effort from you and other roommates. Chargers (even when not charging) draw power as do other things merely by being plugged in. Consider unplugging when not in active use and tell your roommates to do the same. You will save on power charges too.

Edit:  It could be just your roommates screwing with you.  It doesn't take rocket science to know how to flip a circuit breaker.

• Judy

Contact your landlord. Something is wrong with the electric. And if there was any connection to their power use, theirs would go out too when yours does.