cat
cat asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 3 weeks ago

Questions about Sun In for lightening hair?

I went to the salon to get my hair highlighted back in late-August and it came out great! I have light brown/dark blonde hair so the highlights made my hair brighter. The thing is they were sooo expensive and my hair grows so fast, I already have 2 inches of roots. So I bought Sun In and I used it today for the first time and I notice a slight difference but not as dramatic as I hoped. I'm thinking I have to just keep using it but I have a few questions about that-

1. How often can/should I use it? Is once every 2-3 weeks too much?

2. I'm using about 1/3 of the bottle and blow drying for about 5-10 minutes. The instructions on the back don't actually indicate how much to use and how long to blow dry so... does this sound about right or do I need to tweak it?

3. Anything else I should know about Sun In?

Thank you!!

Favorite Answer

Sun In will change the overall color of your hair but it won't give you the same effect as highlights. I personally use it twice a month and blow dry for about 8-10 minutes and I have very thin but long hair :)

My hair is naturally strawberry blonde and I would use sin in to make it more blonde and it works great but it can dry out your hair by spraying and blow drying, I had my hair break more from that

• Sun in isn't going to give you the same look as your high lights, it doesn't give you as much lift in color as bleach does. 

You only have to get the roots touched up, which shouldn't be as expensive as doing your whole head with highlights. Get a consultation with the salon that gave you the highlights and see how much it would cost to get the roots touched up. 

I wouldn't use it too often. There are chemicals in Sun in that can damage your hair, but not as seriously as bleach can. Maybe 1-2 times a month and use a deep conditioner after using it. If your hair still feels healthy after that then use it 2-4 times a month.

You're actually supposed to sit in the sun with the product in your hair. If it's cold or too hot where you are, just use a blow dryer as directed.