Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 4 weeks ago

Is English at the same difficulty level as chinese japanese korean and arabic?

I know those 4 are supposed to be the hardest in the world but I was wondering if English was as difficult as they are, and if so, why

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

English is known to be one of the hardest languages not from a professional point of view but simply the dialects and slang we use is hard for non English speaking people to learn.  Like it's difficult for a person from New York to understand someone from the south.  We speak different and use different words and phrases that can't really be taught.

• Pontus
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

English is NOT known as one of the hardest languages (or the easiest) universally. It depends on how different it is from the languages the learner already knows. Zirp & Lón gave correct answers.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

That depends on which language you already know.

English has a very large vocabulary, with lots of synonyms. It has spelling competitions for *native* speakers. It has a lot of homonyms, homophones and homographs. The lack of a consistent structure is challenging for some.

a rough cough ought to plough through my hiccough though

• Lôn
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

It depends on what your first language is.

Chinese people find Japanese easy but Portuguese difficult.

Portuguese people find Spanish easy but Swedish difficult.

Swedish people find Norwegian easy but Chinese difficult.

• Lôn
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

They have similar characters.

• 4 weeks ago

I think it might be due to the many slang expressions and colloquialisms.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Lots of words have different meanings but are spelled or sound the same. Lots of idioms and colloquialisms.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.