Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 4 weeks ago

But really, guys. Do I need to learn Japanese if I'm living in Tokyo?

Yes, I do plan to live in Tokyo for a good while, for maybe about 2 or 3 years, maybe more, but I do want to live in Japan.

Do I need to learn Japanese? I don't want a translator by my side every damn time. It gets irritating that you can't even so much as ask for a meal without having a human interpreter by your side wherever you go because you were too damn lazy to learn the language.

I don't know anyone in Japan. No one. So what do I do?

Favorite Answer

I agree with Never-Again in that all of the good things about being a foreign resident in Japan come from ones own Japanese language ability. Just to earn money would have been a good reason to go to Japan in 1990. It certainly isn't anymore. If you can't go into an izakaya and have a beer and at least say hello to the locals, you are going to be feeling isolated. If you spend all your leisure time in some gaijin bar you are just going to be hanging out with miserable and/or alcoholic gaijin. If you can't understand Japanese, at least you can understand baseball which will give you something to look at on TV besides CNN.

You don't want to learn Japanese, just don't.

But if you NEED to learn, you should.

I think you can live without learning Japanese in Tokyo, but I think this is good chance to know Japanese language and culture. You're going to know someone from now a lots. I don't want you to lose this great opportunity.

If you can find a way to live in Tokyo without knowing Japanese, you probably don't *need* to know Japanese. But you'd resign yourself to a very limited and handicapped life where you can only perform basic functions that don't require literacy or verbally communicating with anyone

. It's like you're not even an adult or human anymore. Sounds like fun doesn't it.

Do you want to live in Japan without learning Japanese? You can, but you will spend a lot of time your time being confused and miserable.

yes, learn the language I'm pretty sure you don't appreciate it when people move to your country without even trying to learn the language

You need to have a job if you're going to stay more than 90 days ...and you often can't choose where you work . Tokyo is the most popular .

It's Japan, they speak Japanese there !

Most job contracts are for one year .

Sorry , I'd guess your chances are zero .

How do you imagine you're going to get a visa to stay that long without actually speaking the language?

Japan can be, surprisingly, one of the hardest places to live in or travel in without knowing the local language. Japanese students study English for at least 6 years, but the emphasis is on absolute grammatical accuracy, so they are too scared of making a mistake to try to use English. I've had servers in restaurants run from me when I used very simple English words. You can learn it when you get there, but it helps to know a few words. Also, the others are right that you have to have a valid student or work visa to stay there for 2 years. 

• Quinn

You may not have intended , but you came off like a spoiled brat - I want something, but I don't want to do anything to get it. Waaaaah! Living in Japan for 2 or 3 years? Not likely unless you have already accepted a job offer from an employer in Japan or have been accepted and rolled in an institution of higher learning.

While you can get by without being completely fluent in Japanese, you still need to have at least a functional knowledge of the language. Contrary to what you may have seen on TV shows and movies, not everyone speaks English and why should they. Without a bare minimal level of knowledge in Japanese, how are you going to do simple mundane things such as buy groceries, order meals at a restaurant, sign up and pay for things such as utilities, internet service, rent, etc.? What are you going to do if you ever have an accident and need to call the Japanese equivalent of 911 which is 119? How are you going to tell the dispatcher please sent an ambulance or tell a doctor where it hurts? By not being able to function in the language (even at an imperfect primary school level) you are leaving yourself wild open to a lot of potentially bad situations.

Nothing is free and if you want something, you have to be willing to make the effort to obtain or achieve it. Dreams don't always come true for even people who work hard for theirs, so what are your chances if you are too lazy to work for or towards it?

1.  There is no way for you to simply go live in Japan for 2 or 3 years. 

2.   If you marry a Japanese citizen or get a work visa for Japan then yes, you need to learn Japanese. 

• FC913 weeks agoReport

You don't need to know Japanese to marry a Japanese citizen. You really should, but you don't have to

Nah, just wing it. You'll pick up as much as you need to get by in no time.