Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 3 weeks ago

I'm 15. How can I help my fatty liver, cholesterol, and blood sugar (other than losing weight and exercise)?

I recently learned from my doctor and you guys that I'm overweight and my waist is too large. As of this morning I weigh 210 pounds and my waist is 38" (I'm 5'4" and a girl). I wrote a lot of other details on that question if you need them. https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20191...

Now I need some more advice. This time about what will help my cholesterol, blood sugar, and liver, like any specific foods I should eat. Because we got my blood work from my appoinment, and I have high cholesterol, prediabetes, and my liver enzymes are high. My mom picked me up early from school today after the doctor called. He said I needed to get an ultrasound of my liver so we went earlier today.The woman who did it pushed on my belly hard and it really hurt, but she said it was the only way to get a clear picture through my belly. It was embarrassing since I could tell she meant because I'm fat, and because she had to look at and touch my stomach. I got through it though and my mom and I went out for lunch after.

Anyway, my doctor called again when he got the report. He said I have alot of fat in my liver, which makes it big and inflamed. And it might be why I'm tired all the time and why the ultrasound hurt so bad. He also said if I gain any more weight I'll probably get diabetes.

He wants to repeat my blood work in a month. What can I do to be heathier by then?

What I mean is, are some things better to eat than other things, even if total calories are the same? Or different styles of eating like low fat vs low carb. What will help me get better fastest?

Hi. You need to start eating unprocessed food that's low in fat and low in salt and sugar. Absolutely no fried food and if a product has more than 5 ingredients listed, it's classed as highly processed. Porridge/oatmeal made from rolled oats with 1% or fat free milk and fruit is an excellent start to the day as oats fill you up, they're full of fibre and they're known to reduce bad cholestoral levels. Aim to eat lean meat with brown pasta or rice or boiled or baked potatoes with the skin on with half your plate covered in vegetables. Eat oily fish twice a week and pulses such as lentils or beans twice a week. 

Home made vegetable soup is really easy to make and is great for lunches with wholegrain toast, a little cream cheese or cheddar, fruit and maybe a fat free yogurt. Sugar free jellies are good to snack on as well as high fiber, low sugar breakfast cereals. Do not add salt to your food, your taste buds will adjust. Condaments and sauces are often loaded with fat, salt, sugar and additives so read the lables carefully. Whole eggs are good for you and rich in nutrients and do not cause high cholestoral so you could start the day with half a wholewheat bagel, 2 poached eggs, a grilled tomato and grilled mushrooms. 

You'll get used to your new diet pretty quick and you'll enjoy it. You don't need to give up high fat foods such as peanut butter completely, just make sure you buy a brand that is made with 100% peanuts with no added salt, sugar or oil. Use it sparingly on toast and maybe top with a banana. I've lost 63lb this year by eating this way and I'm now a healthy weight. My only abnormal test result before slightly raised cholestoral at 6.4 when it should be below 5. It's now 4.6 and I'm hoping to smash that at my next medical in February. My blood sugars are also ridiculously healthy so I'm proof this 'diet' works.

• Speed

There is no "other than losing weight and exercise" option. That's where your focus needs to be. (I have fatty liver disease, too, so I know it's a struggle--but you can do this.)

The basics of losing weight are easy to understand and hard to do. You do *not* need to starve yourself or work out hard. What you need to do is more subtle, and it's not a temporary diet but an entire lifestyle change. You need to make decisions that are healthy, about foods you eat, about portion size, about activity.

Make foods high in fat or sugar a treat rather than something you have fairly often.Eliminate fried foods completely. That's french fries, fried chicken, potato chips, mozzarella sticks, etc. Eliminate non-diet soft drinks and juice completely. (You can have diet soft drinks and the fruit the juice is made of.) Eliminate candy, sweet baked goods, and ice cream.Limit fats like oil, butter, margarine, peanut butter, and mayonnaise, and measure them so you never overindulge. Limit carbohydrates--bread, cereal, rice, pasta, potatoes--to a serving the size of your fist. When a carb is available in a whole grain version, take it.

Stay hydrated all the time by sipping water. If your pee has almost no color, you're doing it right. Why? Because sometimes we eat when we're not really hungry but thirsty. (Stupid brain!)Eat lots of lean protein (white-meat poultry, fish, shellfish, beans, lean ground turkey or chicken), lots of fruit, lots of vegetables. Enjoy low fat or fat-free dairy products, or dairy substitutes like soy or almond milk.Count calories at first, while you settle in. Aim for 1500 - 1800 a day. Don't go lower, since your loss will be muscle rather than fat if you do. Your loss will be slow, but it's far more likely to stay lost if you go slow.

Exercise can be a brisk walk, housework, yard work, dancing, playing with a pet or active child, and doesn't necessarily mean joining a gym or huffing and puffing. Aim for 30 minutes of activity five days a week at a minimum--more time or more days is ever better but not required.

You can do this! Really, you can.

• pluvial3 weeks agoReport

Thanks. I already know I need to lose weight. In the last 8 months I put on 60 pounds, mostly on my belly. But I wanted to know if some foods are better than others even if the calories are the same.