Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 4 weeks ago

Was it the right decision?

My best male friend likes me and I like him.  He already knew that I have schizophrenia, but he liked me anyway, so I decided that it’s time I explained to him about what it’s like to have mild schizophrenia.  It’s basically like being normal, except you see and hear things when you’re under high stress like when someone close to you dies, or you start a new job and it means I can’t work full time hours.  

• Foofa
    Favorite Answer

He certainly needs to understand what you face before he gets romantically involved with you so I can’t how this would be a bad thing. Even if he decides he can’t handle dating you it’s always better to be honest.

How would I possibly know what is the right decision in your life?

I would presume if he knew you have schizophrenia and remained your friend, he already understood schizophrenia.

I have never heard of a "mild" case.  You either hear and see things or you don't.  The circumstances don't matter.

Yes, definently be honest if you like him, if he's somebody you can trust and if you want to pursue a relationship with him. You need him to understand what your needs are so he can tell you if he can meet them or not. If he can't then that's okay he wasn't for you and if he can, great. Just be yourself and if he feels like you're the one for him he'll show you :)