A Question About The Photography Business?

Hi, so recently I just accept into college and am going to major in photography. My question to you is, is it possible to have a career as a photographer using Instant Cameras, or does it HAVE to be digital? Please no mean comments. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

Please buy a decent entry level DSLR or a mirrorless like the EOS 250D or the M50 to start off. You cannot pursue photography with an instant camera, you will definitely need a digital camera.

• JYAG1 month agoReport

I know.  I just wish those wouldn't be so darn expensive though

• John

When you go to college, THEY teach YOU.  Got it?

• keerok

"Please no mean comments."

______ ___!

Okay. There might be a market for that but consider this. Will someone who appreciates the quality of instant pictures be willing enough to spend more on someone to take that same kind of pictures they can produce themselves. We all have to admit there is nothing special about instant cameras. It's just point and shoot which leads us to another point. If you bothered yourself into going through all those units in college to earn a diploma about using highly complicated cameras and lighting systems, why desecrate your know-how with a stupid instant camera?

Sorry, can't help myself. It's like you studying under the watchful eye and brazen tongue of Gordon Ramsey for 4 years just to boil water using an electric thermos.

• Marli

I've been to several weddings and photo sessions and never saw a professional photographer using an instant camera. I have seen a writer friend taking cell phone pictures of scenes for story inspiration.

I'm sure you will be taught to use the professional tools. The problem may be buying them.

Making a successful, lucrative living from photography is becoming more and more difficult. Sorry, but you are NOT going to do it with an instant camera. Not intending to be "mean", but frankly, that is a totally absurd, ridiculous notion.

• cmac'm

There are exactly zero professionals using instant cameras unless it's for gimmicky purposes or an event of some kind. It doesn't have to be digital though- still some film camera uses

• NONAME

It depeneds...Why do you want to use instant cameras..?  if you have an artistic purpose in mind ...makes sense...or if you cannot afford a different camera then it would be okay for now.  But its going to be hard to share your work if you only have a small physical copy of it.

• JYAG1 month agoReport

Honestly NONAME, yeah.  Its because of the price of a digital camera .