Do you like jazz?

Yes.  Bebop is probably my favorite. Check out guitarist, Bruce Foreman.

jazz likes me . . .

I always kind of gravitate towards it. Especially progressive jazz, But when I was younger my father took me to see a swing band at New York City’s “Red Blazer” club and I was pretty blown away by that as well. Grew up listening to 60s rock, etc,  but after a while even bands like Cream just get a little bit too simple for my ears. They say Jimi Hendrix could’ve been a good jazz guitarist as well, but I don’t know. You can hear it a little bit in his playing though. But my brain sometimes just wants something a little bit more complex and multi-hued. I want to hear some modulation, rhythm changes, and so forth during a piece of music, not just 3 chords and 4/4. When I pick up the guitar I always want to play jazz lines on it. Not rock so much. I want to explore all the tonal possibilities of that fretboard. Not just do power cords and string bending etc. So when my brain needs that kind of food, I go watch/listen to a YouTube video of Chick Corea’s Electric Band for example and it seems to hit the spot. Watching Frank Gambale’s fingers fly up and down that guitar neck, playing every mode in existence and maybe even some that he just made up on the spot, is as much a visual treat as a sonic one. Or watching Chick’s fingers fly over that Rhodes keyboard or David Steckl finessing that drum kit.  I guess it’s kind of like eating store-bought chocolate pudding every day and all of a sudden you want some crème brûlée. I was also always into Bach when I was growing up, playing some of the easier stuff on piano, etc and a lot of his keyboard music actually has a jazzy syncopation to it. “Bach swings”,as they say. So yeah, jazz. Dig it. 

• atomic fireball
      2 weeks agoReport

I looked up Eric Steckel and he seems to be more of a blues/rock guitarist? 

A major component to my musical array comprising of Bebop (Coltrane, Davis and Monk), Fusion (Chick Corea, Joe Farrell and Kazumi Watanabe) and Brazilian (Airto Moreira, Egberto Gismonti. Nana Vasconcelos)

I cannot listen to Jazz but I do respect it's cultural significance. 

yes, but not as much as Classical or Country

• Petter

No, I really can't understand the beauty of jazz. I try to be open minded to most music styles, but jazz really gets me to the point where I get irritated...

• Lôn

Most of it...no, it sounds as if it's made up as they go along...the tunes aren't catchy.

I do like Stranger on the Shore by Aker Bilk though....does that count as jazz?

https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=...

• Lôn
      2 weeks agoReport

Do you like the Aker Bilk song I posted?

sometimes. but for me at least it requires active listening. its like every once in a while i'll have a chill evening listening to sun ra and ornette and mingus. maybe read the linear notes but mostly just chill on the couch and listen. i can't do it in the car or as background music, i've got to be into it or not at all.