I don’t like getting drunk?

I’m 16 and it seems that everyone my age is drinking or smoking weed. I don’t like drinking it’s scary to me. I’ve seen what it does to people, I don’t want to become that. I don’t mind smoking weed as long as it’s bud and not wax. Is there anything I can do because the people that don’t drink are absolute squares and are always talking about how better they are for not drinking.

• Donna

Everyone is different. Maybe you can't handle.

Congratulations, you are more mature than many of your peers. 

Don't let any one pressure you to do anything that you don't want to do..(other than your parents to study)

Also don't give your friends a hard time, it will not change their minds.  Just be a good friend and if they need it a designated driver whenever they need one. 

You can abstain from alcohol without judging those who don't.

You said that the people who don’t drink are “total squares” lol and act like they’re better than than people who do drink.

But with your friends that drink, have you tried just being honest with about why you don’t like it? If you’re smoking weed with them, then they’re probably not as judgmental as the total squares. The total squares who look down on people who drink will probably be just as High and mighty about people who smoke weed. In my experience, people who are accepting of weed, are more accepting of most lifestyle choices. 

If they’re really your friends why not just be honest and just say you don’t like the feeling of being drunk, and you prefer weed? Lots of people don’t like being drunk. It’s normal.

If anyone judges, talks bad about you, or pressures you to do something you don’t want to do, than they’re not really your friends. 

• C

A lot of people don't actually like the feeling of being drunk without making a song and dance about it.  Some of us even drink but stop a long way off getting drunk.  The best way is just not to make a fuss about it (admittedly this gets easier as you get older and people stop being so into monitoring their friends).  I've found that if you keep a drink in your hands most people don't bother to check if it's your first or your tenth, and not even if it's alcoholic at all if mixed drinks are the order of the night.  

Being a people watcher by nature and having lived in and visited many countries one thing I've found very interesting is the extent to which alcohol is expected to change people's behavior and how much social tolerance people are given for their drunken behavior is very cultural.  Take your typical college students.  They take a few gulps of an alcoholic drink and start acting crazy - however there's no way they could be physiologically effected by the booze that quickly although they genuinely believe that they are.  In some countries you could drink a bottle of wine and behaving brashly would still be considered bad form.  It's what Terry Pratchett's Granny Weatherwax would call "headology."  I don't really care if you want to drink or try drugs at any point in your life but you absolutely don't have to in order to relax and let loose, you just need to find the internal switch that gives you permission and then you're not the square who sticks out like a sore thumb and you get to have fun.  The flipside is that you also don't have to forgive your friends for any shitty things they do because they were drunk or high because all that comes from a place inside themselves, not something they were forced to do.  If you end up feeling resentful toward your friends because they're always pleading to be forgiven because they were under the influence while treating you badly or putting you in a bad position it becomes time to move on to a new crowd where you look forward to spending time with them regardless of if there's drink involved or not.

• NONAME

start talking bad about people who drink...reverse the stakes...i know its not that easy...

• marty

Its ok to be around your friends who drink without joining, theres a need for designated drivers and you could become quite popular as the sober one that can give others rides without risk of accidents. Theres always a middle ground if you look for it.

I'll just let you know, I've never been drunk, and I've never been high. I'm the sort of person you would say is always looking down, judging other people. That isn't always true and it's not true for me. I don't use that as a source of self esteem and I've no interest in being better than other people. I just do what I think is good for me. I'll tell you something else. I have MANY friends who smoke weed, vape, drink, etc. etc. Some of my best friends. And we get along very well and have some good freakin times. Do I think they might be making a mistake getting wasted? Yeah. Do I hold it against them? Only as far as they want me to... which, in most cases is not much or none at all. So no. If your "friends" put you down for being a "square" for not drinking, they're not your friends. Or, at the very least, the foundations of your friendship is shallow. Being a square is all in your head. I've hung out with many a drunk person and I've never been shamed for being a square because I'm just having fun with them. It's about confidence in yourself and your choices. If someone shrugs you off for "being a square"... guess you're not hanging out then 😗 big whoop. Last thing I wanna say is probably a straight edge cliche but I'm gonna say it anyway. If getting wasted is the only way someone knows how to have fun and kick back... they're a loser. "Grow some creativity." Good luck, mang.

Edit: not to mention, you're under age. (At least in the US) You drinking would be illegal at best and somewhat risky and stupid at the worst.

That’s quite normal. Not everyone does.

Sorry bro, can't advise an underage kid to drink more.