Why are there so many people moving to Washington State?

I don't get why so many people want to move to Washington State, the cost of living there is almost on par with California IMO, I wish people would move somewhere outside of the Pacific Northwest.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • DEBS
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

The state's population has increased by about 1.6%. The problem is it's highly concentrated in a few counties which are because that is where the jobs are. If you want to eliminate the jobs, then you can eliminate the people.

Washington is only the 4th fastest growing state (percentage wise) so people obviously are moving elsewhere.

• 3 weeks ago

I got sent there for a job.  Rent is expensive & traffic is terrible.  Winters are mild, but also rather gloomy & depressing.  I did like the green countryside & seeing mt Rainier.   

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

People move when and where they want and able to do so. A particular job, Retirement, taxation, weather and climate, cost of living vs job salaries and economic growth, political and social, urban vs rural, and more affect it. United Van Lines reports their state to state moving. No method is "clean" to determine interstate moves. This is one source of data for 2018.

https://www.unitedvanlines.com/contact-united/news...

They show outbound New Jersey, Illinois, Connecticut, New York, Kansas, Ohio, Massachusetts, Iowa, Montana, Michigan and inbound to Vermont, Oregon, Idaho, Nevada, Arizona, South Carolina, Washington, North Carolina, South Dakota, District of Columbia.

California is an outbound state, inbound% reason outbound%.

10.13% Retirement 22.00%5.41% Health 5.88%17.03% Family 24.94%9.90% Lifestyle 19.81%62.49% Job 41.19%

Washington

15.79% Retirement 21.88%5.70% Health 7.29%23.03% Family 28.88%15.57% Lifestyle 13.98%55.26% Job 39.51%

For both they move in for jobs, and out to retire, and you can see other reasons.

I live in Nevada which grows almost every year. In to retire, out for jobs. (also in for lifestyle and out for family)

It's not only Cali to Washington, and not only cost of living.

Atlas releases data also, but United has many more moves than Atlas.

https://www.atlasvanlines.com/migration-patterns

Nevada in 1970  0.52 million and 2018  3.03 million  (+482.7%)

USA in 1970 209.51 million and 2018 327.10 million  (+56.1%)

Washington in 1970 3.41 million and 2018 7.54 million (+121.1%)

California in 1970 19.97 million and 2018 39.56 million (+98.1%)

• Mark
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

More than likely, for work reasons.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

because of the low humidity, very few tornadoes, we get our 4 seasons here, no hurricanes and nice summers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.